icon

Manual Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
diabloed 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  
just wondering if anyone on here knew of any really good alarm/remote start systems that work good on manuals? i would like to have something with capabilities to do a window roll-up module and also had a 2-way trasmitter. any info would be great.
PS i am an installer and know the issues with manual w/ remote start!
i would just go with a standard remote start but i would like to have the conveince and saftey of having one that was designed for the manuals.
elrayodesinaloa 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't install a remote start on a manual transmission. There are systems where you atach a wire from the alarm to the emergency brake. When the alarms sees that input then the remote starts works if it doesn't, it won't, but even like that is still dangerous there are many issues. When customers come to me and really want it, I make them sign a note that states that I'm not liable for accidents that may happen as a result of the installation.  I've only done a few.
bpoppe4 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
I know of systems that have a "turbo timer" included with the alarm.  The car continues running with the key out of the cylinder until the last door is closed, that way it ensures that the car is in neutral.  If the "turbo timer" feature is cancelled, the car will NOT remote start next time you try.  However, if it is allowed to run until the door is shut, the car will start next time.  It does have a two minute time limit, so you can't sit in the car for very long otherwise it won't remote start next time.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
Look at the AST TL4500M if you want a 2-way pager.
www.ultrastarters.com
almeida79 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
compustar also makes a great system    www.compustar.org
Jay
benjaminthe1st 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  

Not soliciting, but I sell both.

The AST is much less expensive, and does have a reservation mode, as does the compustar.  The remotes on the compustar take a little getting used to, but absolutely is a superior alarm.  The Compustar is not for self-install unfortunately, but is so upgrade friendly its sick.

to check out either products

www.ultrastarters.com

www.compustar.org

Discount Car Stereo
23446 Pac Hwy Kent, WA 98032
Resonant Engineering, Orion, Planet Audio, Soundstream, Panasonic, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, Compustar, DEI,Toucan, Matrix Other lines
eurotek 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  

its obvious these people have little advice as a result of less experience..

any remote start will do, DEI does it best, manuals should not be installed, however, they are very easy and triggers can easily be setup to avoid starting when in gear...

benjaminthe1st 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
eurotek, we have done, and know many who have done install on remote starts with manual transmissions.  The problem lies in that companies such as DEI, which I sell so i'm not saying it's crap refuse to think outside the box.  Would you ever leave a stick shift in gear and running NO! DEI can't see that with the exception of the G5.  The problem of safety has been one of people who thought they were smart enough to put a remote start on a stick when the piece was designed for an automatic.  They improvised, and the first time they forgot to go through the safety checklist, it got wrapped around a telephone pole.  Now if you think that compustar is unsafe, it received CES inovative awards right along side with DEI.  The inovation award doesn't make something good or bad, just innovative. 
Discount Car Stereo
23446 Pac Hwy Kent, WA 98032
Resonant Engineering, Orion, Planet Audio, Soundstream, Panasonic, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, Compustar, DEI,Toucan, Matrix Other lines
hmouta 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
i have a clifford avanteguard 4 and LOVE IT. it has the mtx remote start setup and is done in a way thats very safe. the alarm wasnt cheap, neither was the install. but totally worth it for me. the smartwindows module lets me vent my windows and the alarm does autorollup when armed. i considered the compustar and heard mixed reviews. those that loved it, LOVED IT and vice versa. the one thing i dont like on mine is its not a 2 way system. 
hmouta 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
the ag4 has a turbo timer so it'll work great when i do add a turbo.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic