icon

using RCA's and HU Speaker wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Gilateen 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

can you connect the  HU's front/rear speaker wires to other speakers (i.e. tweeters) and have the rca's lead to an amp?

also if the tweeters or other speakers are hooked up to the HU wiring, what type of filter would be needed?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can do this.  Use a passive high-pass crossover on the speaker outputs of the head unit.  Many after-market tweeters  come with a crossover optimized for them.  If you do not have crossovers designed for your tweeters, let me know what type you want to use and I'll make a suggestion for you.
Gilateen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

i wanted to use these tweeters, i dont know if they have the crossover designed in them or anything.

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=3036856928&category=14943&rd=1

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
I know nothing about those particular tweeters, but if the listed specs are correct, you'll want to cross them over at 5000 Hz (or higher.)  A crossover like this one would do the trick.  There are other options, as well.
Gilateen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
how would you connect that to the speakers? can you please inform me of the other options?
DYohn 
Posted: August 13, 2003 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

A passive crossover is simply connected in the speaker wires between the amplifier (or the head unit in your case) and the speaker.   Check the link on this site for some crossover basics.  Do a search on the Internet for "passive crossover" and you will find lots more information. 

I suggest for a tweeter you should use a 12 db (second order) crossover or better.  There are many other options on eBay and in any good car stereo shop, on-line or on your block.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic