icon

bridging component set

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snowblind 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
Is it OK to bridge (run in parallel) a set of components? these are infinity kappa 6.5 (6.5" woofer, 1" tweeter, passive xover). Will running them in parallel mess up the xover?
snowblind 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
also,
does an amp's output suffer if only one (of two) channels are connected to a speaker? (forget the fact that the second channel is unused.. does having the second channel reduce the output of the first channel)
Powerslave0 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
SO, you want a signal to the 6.5, then a crossover to the Tweeter? Sure, that will work fine. Coaxial speakers are wired parellel anyway, basically, a coaxial speaker is a WOOFER and TWEETER, well, you only connect TWO wires, but the TWO are in parallel.
An amp should not suffer power loss to any SIDE if it is a GOOD amp. CHEAP amps may do that, especially the FOUr channel amps, when using FRONT/REAR. Just using the REAR will have more power sometimes.
Wire the 6.5 normally, then connect the Xover to the same terminals, then run the tweeter from the Xover. ACTUALLY, dude, all you need is a capacitor to the + terminal of the TWEETER, rather than use an Xover. . .
I am being basic, but more complex it noting the OHMS rating of the Amplifier. If the amp is a 2ohm amp, then use TWO 4ohm speakers. IF the amp us 4ohm, then use two 8ohm. . . It's all a technicality, I have been mismatching speakers for years, and have had no problems. . .
snowblind 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
clearly I should of wrote what I intend to hookup
I've got the kappa components and an 8" sub (DVC, 2ohm or 8ohm operation). I have plenty of amps to hookup the components and the sub seperately but I would rather use a single amp at this time. I was thinking of using a RF 360a2. It will put out 180 watts into two, two-ohm channels. I can hook the sub up to one channel and wire the component set in parallel to get 2ohms. This will let me run a single amp. I understand that a) i wont be able to balance left/right, but I dont care and b)I wont be able to use the amps xover (it has one xover for both channels), but that doesnt really matter because my head-unit has a sub-out (with a 80hz LPF on the output) so i can use that RCA for the sub-channel and just a front-rca for the channel with the components.
In the future, I intend to use the RF amp for the 8" sub and then use a second amp for the components. However, I dont really want to wire up both amps and figure out a way to mount them both.
snowblind 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
When I say hook up the components in parallel, I mean I will hook up the left and the right together in parallel. The left (6.5", 1", and xover) and right (6.5", 1", and xover) will the operate as a single 2ohm channel. I will connect the (+) of the amp's left channel to the (+) of BOTH left and right xover inputs and then the amps' left channel (-) to both xover's (-) inputs. And finally, I will connect the 2ohm sub to the amp's right channel.
basically, will the component set, with its passive xovers, have problems between connected to each other in parallel? (since resistors and capacitors add different in parallel).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic