Picking an amp for Clarion 10 4 ohm DVC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crichols82 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
I was helping a friend of mine order an amp for his Clarion SRW1083 500w
10" DUAL VOICE COIL SUBWOOFER. I have 4 amps in mind and I'm just a little unsure which one is the best fit for this sub.  I had the Alpine MRP-350 (350 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms), the Kicker KX400.1 (400 x 1 @ 2 ohms), Rockford 351M (350 x 1 @ 2 ohms), and the JBL BP300.1 (300 x 1 @ 2 ohms).  I know that the RMS on the sub is actually 250 watts (coils in series).  He had a Sony XM-280GTX, which seriously underpowered the sub, and was only connected to one voice coil.  We are going to hook that amp to his 2 rear speakers and use the new amp for his 10" Clarion.  Any ideas?
crichols82 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2003 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

anybody?! we havta order this stuff tonight or tomrrow morning

hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2003 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
Well if your on a budget, go for the Alpine MRP-M350. I got it for my two SWE-1041's and if you've got the right music in (like the fight club soundtrack) it'll pound the crap out of them.haha. It'll provide plenty of power, just keep the gains down.
I've heard nothing but good things about teh jbl amps. the 300.1 will be closer to your rms specs, but will be a little more expensive, but will offer you more flexability in the future, since it is 1 ohm stable.
All of this is of course based upon a 250 watt rms sub..now if its 250 watts per coil, then these subs would be greatly underpowering it. If 500 rms is the true rms rating of the sub, then the jbl 600.1 is the way to go.
hobbes6981 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2003 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
"All of this is of course based upon a 250 watt rms sub..now if its 250 watts per coil, then these subs would be greatly underpowering it. .." Apparently I can't form proper sentence structure. I meant to say either of those AMPS would greatly underpower the sub. I need more sleep. Anyways.... I finally found the specs, and since 500 is the maximum wattage, you would do well with either the Alpine MRP-M350 or the JBL 300.1.
hobbes6981 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2003 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
One more thing, wire the coils in PARALLEL, NOT SERIES. Series wiring will double your impedance..effictively reducing your power output of the amp to your subs. Since the sub is dual 4 ohm, wired in parallel it will reduce the resistance to 2 ohms, maximizing the power from the amp.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic