icon

Add Amp to Acura-Bose

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daglove77 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2003 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  

i am looking to add my 1000wattAudiovoxPrestige amp and SUB to my BOSE STOCK 1997 Acura 3.5RL. Is there a sep. BOSE SUB in this car? I know there is an amp behind the rear seat so i am wondering (for SQ purposes) should i connect RCA CONNECTORS to the INPUTS (from the STOCK HU) @ the amp or just tap both RIGHT&LEFT rear speakers with regular LOC's?  Ive heard that amplifying an already amplified signal will produce poor SQ.

ALSO, i do Not plan on pulling out the front dash to get the back of the STock Bose HU.  SO what is recommended course of action? Thank you

ps i find this website EXTREMELY HELPFUL, so keep up the gw.

daglove77 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

someone suggested a converter by Tsunami

would this attach to the stock amp and do the trick?

plz post ANY information, i am anxious to hear what advice is out there

thanx again!

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  

I know you said that you don't want to take out the head unit but just in case you change your mind or feel the need to, these diagrams should help you out a little bit.

Now as for the hookups, I would recommend just using a line output converter and tapping in to the rear speaker wires.  The line out converter is designed to take an amplified signal (i.e. after the bose amp) and turn it into a low-level signal that's compatible with your aftermarket subwoofer amplifier.

You COULD use the unamplified signal, before it gets to the bose amp, but a lot of the time the bose amps have weird input signals and it might not sound quite right unless you have a special line output converter.  The bose amp's OUTPUTS though will work with any converter out there.

Just make sure that the signal you get is not out of phase (correct positive and negative wiring) and that you're grabbing the signal AFTER it's been amplified by the Bose amps.  However don't cut the speaker wires cuz then you'll lose the sound going to your rear speakers.  Instead just strip off some of the insulation, leaving the wires intact, then twist the converter wire around the vehicle wire and solder them and tape.  Use zip ties to secure the converter to the rear deck if necessary.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
lemeek36 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
there is an adapter but it does connect to the stock amp, it connects to the HU. be careful, when you already have a stock amp and sub already connected and add a another sub and amp you will most likely blow something. if the aftermarket amp is stronger most likely you will blow your stock equipment.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

well he's not intending to power the sub with the factory amplifier; he just needs to get the signal from there....

I don't know why I didn't think of it before but yes they do make special adapters and the one you'd want to get is the V ENDETTA II Oem interface adapter from Peripheral.  It hooks up to the low-level outputs of the bose head unit, BEFORE it goes to the stock amplifier. When hooked up properly this will probably sound a little better than using a hi-to-lo converter.  Bose head units don't use a standard low-level signal though like most aftermarket equipment does, so that's why this special converter is a must.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
daglove77 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

Are there any other interface adapters out there to choose from? 

...thanx alot Ethan....

benjaminthe1st 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

PAC offers a piece for you in two versions.  The first is an all in one piece which is vehicle application specific, the other is where you plug 3 pieces together.  For your application you would take OEM-1, ADD-HON, and AMP-RCA. Or you could go for the AOEM-HON which is the kit that is comprised of those three items. 

Bad news, I'm unaware of any way to run the amp without removing the deck besides the following.

Hi-Low converter tapping the audio signal to the speakers.  Now that you have audio signal for your new amp, you need a remote wire.  You may or may not be able to use the one that the Bose system uses.  If that's the case you can purchase a piece from DEI part # is 55000 retails like 20 bucks, this will take the current from the speakers, and give the amp a 1-3 second delay before the amp turns on.  Good luck, PM me if you need more info.

Discount Car Stereo
23446 Pac Hwy Kent, WA 98032
Resonant Engineering, Orion, Planet Audio, Soundstream, Panasonic, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, Compustar, DEI,Toucan, Matrix Other lines
daglove77 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

esmith's method with the vendetta allows me to hook up @ the amp with the lo-level output wire coming from the head unit.... why cant i do that with the PAC products? wats the DIF between the PAC product and the Vendetta smith suggested?

also...  http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERVENREM  - this adapter comes with a remote turn-on.

`thanx again guys.

daglove77 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  

*UPDATE* AFTER PULLING OUT THE REAR SEAT AND CHECKING ALL OVER FOR THIS SO CALLED BOSE AMP I DID NOT SEE ANYTHING THAT LOOKED LIKE ANY BOSE AMP DIAGRAM... SO I COULDNT HOOK UP THE ADAPTER ...

i did find a GREY BOX about the size of my palm behind the REAR PASSENGER SEAT and saw a BLACK BOX behind the REAR DRIVERside SEAT.  When i pulled out the right rear dash speaker to try and follow its wires.. I thinkI THINK it was going back to the HU... ALSO, the rear speaker says ALPINE 30W ...

some1 help me... is there any hope?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic