icon

Adding amp to 95 BMW m3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mantic6t9 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

I have diagrams of the pin outs here http://home.att.net/~ebaines/e36_leads.htm so i know what wires are what. The amp is located in the trunk so any speaker wire is easy to tap into.

I thought the best thing to do is splice into the Radio Connector in this order:

Pin #1 Yellow/Red wire = Left Front Positive
Pin #8 BROWN / Orange wire = Left front Negative
Pin #2 Blue/Red wire = Right Front Positive
Pin #11 BROWN / Orange = Right front Negative

But on the page it says some of the wires color codes may be messed up so i figured you could just leave those out and go by pin number like this

Pin #1 = Left Front Positive

Pin #8 = Left front Negative
Pin #2 = Right Front Positive
Pin #11 = Right front Negative
Please tell me if i'm wrong 'cause I want to do this right the first time. When you guys splice your wires do you just cut the factory wires, splice the factory and added wire together, and solder the connection?

From what i've geatherd from you i should splice into the "Radio Connector" (singnal wires before amp), solder in the RCA cable, and plug them into the RCA inputs on the amp correct? If i do that everything should work good? In your mind does this seem to be the best thing to do in my position?

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
mantic6t9 wrote:

From what i've geatherd from you i should splice into the "Radio Connector" (singnal wires before amp), solder in the RCA cable, and plug them into the RCA inputs on the amp correct? If i do that everything should work good? In your mind does this seem to be the best thing to do in my position?

Yep that's pretty much all you have to do and that's probably how I would do it if I were you.  And yes I always try to follow the pinouts and disregard the factory wire colors because as long as the connectors are the same size/shape, the pinouts remain constant from year to year and between models.

Usually when I'm tapping in to  or splicing into a wire I'll leave the wire intact.  I strip off about an inch of insulation from the wire, twist the other wire around it, and then solder the connection.  Tape up the joint with some good 3m tape, and usually I'll put a zip tie or two around all of the connections when I tape up the last one...just keeps everything nice and neat and relieves stress on individual wires. 

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
mantic6t9 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds good, i'll let you know everything turns out when i'm done and maybe take some pics. What's the best way to strip the insulation from the wire while leaving the wire intact?
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  

Well the way I do it, I use wire strippers and squeeze in one spot to cut the insulation, then i move about an inch over and squeeze again to cut it again.  Then usually you can just push the insulation to one end (while squeezing) and it'll just scrunch up and leave the bare wire intact without cutting the wire.  It's kind of hard to explain but this is the way that I and most other installers I know do it.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
mantic6t9 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, that's what i figured you would do. Now i have to wait on shipping of my amp a Q Logic boxAdding amp to 95 BMW m3 - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
mantic6t9 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

Well it looks like my install will be delayed. I went to my cousins party and someone hit my car and leftAdding amp to 95 BMW m3 - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.. Now it looks like my car will be in the shop for the next month.

Pics

Can anyone help me find a good BMW shop within 50-100 miles of Mobile Alabama?

[IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/pb8f4b1b8d03cd4b769067ce84fb03791/fb5a5763.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/pf16d4444d08d13894d5d3f4aa53e40c8/fb5a5765.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p09c62a0be5f1fe1a0e79605737088e5a/fb5a5769.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/pb0b7e494bee265ce1421dd53894dcde8/fb5a5776.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/pcb0602ab70dce5f14f61c225b3f2ae35/fb5a577e.jpg[/IMG]

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic