icon

custom door suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 99 tahoe and the doors have a very shallow mounting depth. rear is 2.15 and the front is 2.4. I have cdt audio 6.5 in. drivers I want to put in the factory location. Their mounting depth is, rear 2 13/16 and front 2 7/8. I can't cut out the metal backing to make room because the window motor is located there. It looks like I am going to have to surface mount them and put a .5 to .75 in. spacer between the speaker and mounting surface just so they can clear. This will leave me not being able to put the factory speaker covers back on. Now I have a 1 ft. by 7 in. area that is not covered and is an eyesore. Any suggestions on how to dress this mess up.
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
If you're ambitious you could try to make some fiberglass mounts.  Is that an option for you?
Rjahr01 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
kick panels..thats a pretty easy solution
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know much about fiber glass but I worked in a body shop for 9 months so I have some ability. I would give it a shot if I would look good. Got any suggestions about fiberglass mounts. what they should look like how to make them, and all that good stuff.
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

Try these:

http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

I believe the first link shows how to make sub enclosures (in depth) and the second actually shows a few different types of enclosures, including kick panels.  I'm actually in the process of making (almost done) a couple of sub enclosures myself, and these have been invaluable.  For you, the most important thing will be the carpeting.  Here's a link that goes into several things about making sub boxes, including carpeting.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/carpetenclosure.htm

Be sure to check this guy's section on fiberglassing as well.

With these links, you should be able to whip up a couple of kickpanels in no time, especially with your previous autobody experience.  Good luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic