icon

Just got a full system for my truck.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Disaster092 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

Hey everybody. This is my first post here, and i thought i would share my new system setup. I have a pretty lame 1986 Nissan 720 2wd pickup truck. It's a first car, only has 106k on it, its a 5 speed, it runs perfect, i got it for 900 bux, i cant complain. lol.

But anyways, heres what i got. I aquired the system in an online trrade. I traded someone a hobby class nitro powered remote controlled vehicle for a full set up for my truck, minus the headunit. I already bought that a few weeks earlier.

Headunit - Alpine CDA 9805

Front speakers - MB Quart 6.5" 2 ways. DKD 116

http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/products/prod_detail.asp?isArchive=&cat=auto&series=discus%20series&strt=1&model=DKE+116

Rear speakers - MB Quart 6x9" 2 ways. DKC 169

http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/products/prod_detail.asp?isArchive=&cat=auto&series=discus%20series&strt=1&model=DKE+169

Subwoofers - 2 10" MTX Black Golds.

Amplifiers - Alpine 5332 4/3/2 channels. and a Coustic 260u.

Everything was brand new, sealed in package except the amps. So far i have the 6.5's installed. I had to remove the door panels and mount them there. The truck came stock with 4" in the kickpanels. For the 6x9's i am putting them in little boxes, those should be here by Wed. I am building the sub boxes myself, i am picking up the sheet of MDF from Home Depot for $19.99 tomarrow. i have a really cool idea for the amp rack setup, but im not saying a word more than that about it until it is done. I cant wait to build it.

I had never personally head MB speakers before, but a friend of mine had mentioned they were great speakers last fall. So i had no rpoblem accepting them for the trade. And let me tell you. I am more than impressed with the way that the 2 6.5's alone sound. I still need to space them out about .5" - .75" more to clear the windows. The doors are very thin. Well, thats it for now. Once i get the whole thing finished up, i wil have to get some pics and post them.

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

What kind of nitro rc?

I have one...i love that thing.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Disaster092 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

I had a feeling you did, i noticed the Nitrorc.com sig. It was a T-maxx. Fully decked out, i put well over $1500 into it. I still have one, i kept my Mugen MBX4 XR Works 1/8 scale buggy.

I'm guessing you have a Duratrax Maximum ST?

troysnx 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  

Congrats on getting your system, hopefully you can get everything done and installed so we can see some pictures! 

R.Troy
Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

Yup....i dont really go there much ne more...Kinda falling apart. 

Guy named Nitrodan made a forum..its alot better..well laid out.

www.affordablenitrotech.com/forum 

Check it out.

Since the pic loading section of the server is down here...dans sites logo doesnt come up.

I want to get the Savage SS...well take that back...I am getting it this winter for off season r/c..lol.

you paint pretty good.....you seen skidmarks bodys, ya know "the orginal skidmark" he's dam good.

Ya MB quart speakers are sweet.  gonna have to post the pics of your website to show us all.

Disaster092 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Maxst - thanks, i try my best to create good bodies. My latest one is here... http://community.webshots.com/user/disaster092 This body is for sale right now too. There are also pics of my truck from the first day i got it, so you will be able to see what it has become once i finsih the system up.

I went out and got the MDF sheet today, buitl 75% of the boxes. (I somehow forgot to cut out the tops and bottoms)So the sides and the fronts and backs are done, and assembled, and silicone sealed. I made quite a few trips to the local Radio Shack today. I picked up the following..

A 4ga in, 2 - 8ga out Power Distribution Block. $20.00 Its all gold plated and stuff. It looks exactly like the Streetwires one, only it was cheaper than Streetwires' outrageous price.

2 fuses for the dist. block $3.50

2 big "Heavy Duty" terminal plates for the sub boxes. $10.80

And tomarrow i gotta go get some 8ga wire, all ihave is 4, 10, 14, and 16. Something else i need is new RCA patch cables. I need the ones that have the short 90* angle on one end and a regular plug on the other end. I found them, Rockford makes some, but i cant seem to justify spending $14 on one 6.6' cable, and i need 3 cables. The reason i need these is because i have regular ones now, and behind the HU, they hit my air vent duct, so i cant push the HU in all the way, and it is very not secure. lol. But while at Radio shack today, i noticed they make little plugs for the ends of regular RCA cables, they might fit, but they were like $3.30 each, and i need 6. So i wasnt exactly ready to lay out more cash, and i think they only had 2-3 in stock..

So the subs will be in the truck tomarrow.After i get them all situated in there, i will build the amp rack, and carpet everything all nice and nice.

And the distant future for the truck is to be painted Silver after i get the system installed. I am willing to lower it, but i havent found a kit yet, i have torsion bars in the front...ugh.. I want to lower it simply cause of the fact that it is only 2wd, if it was 4wd, it would have been lifted already, lol. And i want to lower it for the handling aspect of it, and for looks. I will have to get some smaller tires, and some decent looking rims. They actually make Euro style tails for it (very shocking), but i'll pass.

rgardjr 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
Disaster092 wrote:

Something else i need is new RCA patch cables. I need the ones that have the short 90* angle on one end and a regular plug on the other end. I found them, Rockford makes some, but i cant seem to justify spending $14 on one 6.6' cable, and i need 3 cables. The reason i need these is because i have regular ones now, and behind the HU, they hit my air vent duct, so i cant push the HU in all the way, and it is very not secure. lol. But while at Radio shack today, i noticed they make little plugs for the ends of regular RCA cables, they might fit, but they were like $3.30 each, and i need 6. So i wasnt exactly ready to lay out more cash, and i think they only had 2-3 in stock..

If you have a Wall-Mart close check out their car stereo install section.  Mine has 6', 12' & 16' RCA starting around $5-$6 bucks.  Also has a great selectoin of Schose wiring harness kits.

Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Ya walmart stuff really inst half bad...good job on the body..
Disaster092 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

Thaks alot rgardjr!! I would've never thought to check out the walmart. Its not really close, like 40 minutes away or so. But i will defintly end up checking them out soon.

Thanks again Maxst.

And as far as the systme install is coming along. It would have been all done tonight, but i had to go to the mall and grab some clothes for school. But along the way, I stopped at an FYE store in the mall. I was lookign in the trance/ house music section, and noticed a big box set. I picked it up and read the thing, 6 cds!! Best part was, it was only 21 bux!!! Thats about the same as one cd! I have so far only listened to the first 7 tracks on the first cd, i have alot to listen to now. I love this type of music, and playing it on a system is gonna be even better.

Anyways, on to the snag in the system install. I got 1 box fully assembled, i dropped the sub in, after i wired it up, and i attached it using those "Tee nuts" they work really good. I go to put the box behind the seat to make sure it all clears, well... the box does, but the sub is sticking out to far. So after runninn through some otions in my head, (A: taking the box apart, which would be very hard, and slimming it down, so that it is not so deep. B: buying a router bit so i could "sink" the sub into the front piece) Then after 25-30 minutes of frustration, it finally came to me... Bottom mount! So i grab the not fully assembled box, slide the sub in, and it fit like a glove! Perfect! So i look around the nuts/washers drawer in the garage, and get the nuts for the screws. Then i had to pry the rear panel off the full box (wasnt too hard, and didnt damage it, i used wood glue and lots of screws) and i bolt the sub in, after i reassemble it all up, i put it behind the seat of the truck, and it is all good now.

All i gotta do is make a top and bottom piece for the other box, and mount the sub and after that, amp rack. And after i saw how much MDF i still have left, i decided to go with a more elaborate plan. Still not saying anything, but its gonna be sweet.

Tomarrow the 6x9" boxes are gonna be here, so they will be in, and the system will be finished. After that, its all detail work.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic