icon

antenna problem on 1994 toyota camry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wariow 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2002 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Hello people, I needed help with my antenna because the damn thing just won't turn on, here's the info,  I recently bought a head unit and took out my factory stereo and everything and cut all the wires and attached them, all 4 speakers work and so does the unit, i attached everything accordingly now the problem is the antenna.  I connect the antenna from the unit to the BLACK/ red wire from the car and the antenna won't work.  I figure the switch 12v wire which is gray from the car should also be attached to the wires because when i attach it, my clock also turns on so that MIGHT be a good sign, I don't know but the antenna still doesn't go up when it's on tuner, I checked all my fuses and none were blown and this site says the BLACK/ red wire is the antenna trigger wire and i connected my antenna plug.  What else is wrong, any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

Peter

trusdamanr 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2002 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

the only thing i can think of is to make sure you are connecting the antenna wire from the harness and not the remote turn on lead...if everything is good then try a relay.. but i wouldnt think you would need it..

wariow 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2002 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

i don' tknow what other thing to connect it to. I connected my switch 12v to my constant 12v and now my clock works permanently.  I connected the antenna controller to the antenna feed from the car.  Does anything else have to be connected to it for the motor to run like one of the 12v.  This is my first installation so bare with me.

Peter

GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2002 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
12V constant on radio goes to battery or constant 12V at fusebox (+12V wehn car is off)
switched 12V goes to ignition so the radio turns off when the keys aren't in it.
blue remote antenna lead on radio goes to the power antenna lead for the car so when the radio is turned on, the antenna extends.
antenna cable from car plugs into antenna connector on back of radio. male from car, female on radio usually.
that should be all you need to get power to the antenna
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
Samantha 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
The BLACK/ red wire is the right wire but there is also another wire which needs connecting. If you can tell me the colours of the wires not being used I will be able to tell you which the other one is, I think it might be a pink with some colour trace on it.
Sam
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
Those should be the colors for a radio install now whatever color is left post back and if you have a meter check and see what it does.Dont cut the harness off of the factory wires just tap into them. Sometimes when installing an aftermarket radio there will be wires left over that do not get used. Did you try to make the antenna go up wiring it directly to 12 volts to rule out the functionig of the antenna motor itself???there will usually be two wires on the aftermarket radio one will be blue the other will be blue/white one is for your amp turn on the other is for antenna if you only have one wire then use it the only thing that will happen is your antenna will always go up when the radio is on .
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
also make sure your radio is putting out twelve volts on the blue wires when the radio is on if not then that is most likely your problem. The best thing to do is take the antenna trigger and send it to a known good power source (ie your 12 volts to the radios yellow wire see if the antenna goes up) if not then you may have a problem with th eantenna itself but i dought this. If it does go up but not with the radios blue wire then it is your aftermarket radios output.
Samantha 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
It definately uses 2 wires to send the aerial up. Try pulling the deck out. Look on the cars plug and you will find a pink wire with I think a blue trace. Get a piece of solder and join the black red and this pink wire together, turn the deck on and it should go up. Be careful not to short the solder out on anything.n Make sure this is a spare wire first.
Sam
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
welcome to the forums, by the way Sam.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic