icon

basic laptop installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
I30Kleen 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, new to pc/car installs, experienced stereo installer..Basically i have like 3 laptop pc's roughly 3 years old, but extremely small and somewhat powerful. the best of the three is a Ricoh NP-70, which is tiny and loaded with features, like infrared, and an ES1879 plug and play audio drive????...what do i do? what do i need? and where do i get it?....basically i just want to load and play mp3's and/or maybe add an external dvd player...should i integrate it into the car, or leave it whole also?...THANK YOU any info WILL help!
Powerslave0 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
You will either need a Power inverter to plug the lap top in, or a muti-volt adapter, find a voltage that will work for teh cig lighter, then hardwre it.
You can use a Casette adapter, from the Audio out port on the Laptop, to the casette adapter and that will play when you have a tape in. You can put the laptop anywhere really, mount it like the police do.
I have already done this once, but I bought a CD player with MP3 playback, and put all my Favorites on that. The laptop thing works, you can download a player. Make sure your AUDIO SETTINGS on teh laptop for windows is set at the BEST possible sound/sample conversion. There is a setting:
START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL >> MULTIMEDIA > ADVANCED PROPERTIES > PERFORMANCE, and choose BEST for both settings.
If you do not have that, there should be a setting for the Audio wuality, and it should be set at CD Quality. The default is like RADIO quality. . . If you adapter suppostr 3D Quality Environment, try that too and see what you get.
You can wire the LAPTIOP into an AUX input port if your head unit has one. Wiring right to the AMP, you would need to asjust the volume ON the laptop with the Volume in the systray. . .
In SHORT, it will work just fine if done right.
I30Kleen 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
THANX POWERSLAVE, So basically, All I need is power, and sound...i.e....RCA's?...so the headphone...aka-mini-plug out of the Laptop into an RCA into my AUX input on my head unit...?..without a "digital to analog sound convertor"...someone told me about?...i wouldnt think i would need that?...any help
Nocturnal 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2003 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  

Instead of a cassette adapter for the sound, try a wireless fm modulator.  Just connect a phono out of your notebook line output or headphone out into the modulator.  You can get them online for about $25 to $30 and hey, no wires...

I30Kleen 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2003 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

good call noc'...thanx guys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic