icon

2001 mustang Mach460

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BravisD 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  

I hooked up the line level inverter ran the rca to the fourth amp, the sound level is really poor. so I adjusted the level all the way up it still is not good, My question is has any one successfully ran a sub that sounded good in a 2001 mustang GT convertible that has a mach 460 sound system, if so what else is involved?

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
4th amp? I take it you mean your aftermarket amp since the Mach460 setup only has 3.
From the rear amps, did you tap the black wire with white stripe and the black wire with green stripe (the white striped ones are the negative)?
Also, don't forget about the gain control on the aftermarket amp itself.
What LOC did you use (make and model)?
What is the make and model of your aftermarket amp and sub(s)?
What gauge power and ground wire did you run?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
BravisD 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 6:59 AM / IP Logged  

Well first of all yes an aftermarket amp, and that is probably the issue but not quite sure, I was told to go from the radio, so I ran from the rear speakers on the radio 16ga wire to the trunk then used the adjustable inverter, but not knowing the power out of the stock head unit it stands to reason they could already be lowlevel and the inverter has just dropped the line level to a mier fraction of what it should be.

From this point should I redirect the connections from the factory amp output to the inverter or leave what I have and just remove the inverter hooking directly from the head unit to the amp? this is a 2channel mtx amp 200watt rms. the inverter is a ??-15 don't quite remember the model.

BravisD 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
oh the power and gnd are like 6ga, mtx 6000 12in,
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
You're caught in a catch-22 without knowing at least the manufacturer of the converter. There are 2 types of LOC's that I know of, one goes before the factory amp and the other goes after. Most LOC's go after the amp. The ones that go before the amp are commonly referred to as Line Drivers.
A Line Out Converter (or High/Low converter) converts a high level amplified signal back to a low level unamplified signal.
A Line Driver boost a low voltage signal into a useable level for an aftermarket amp's low level input
Factory headunits that are made to use a factory amp have low voltage unamplified outputs from the headunit (like RCA pre-outs, but in a speaker wire form). This signal goes to the factory amplifier to be amplified. If you tapped into the wires directly behind the mach460 headunit, then you've tapped into a low level signal and more than likely converted it into an even lower level (like you thought above).
You need to get either a Line Driver and put it where you currently have the LOC, or move your current LOC into the back and tap the signal after the amplifier.
Here's a good link to adding a subwoofer to the Mach460. It's for a coupe (not a convertible), but the theory is the same and the pictures should help.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
BravisD 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

well the LOC is a PAC or pacific accessory corp SNI-35 rated from 2-40 watts, the main thing I have seen is finding radio specs for the factory stuff is like pulling teeth, What is the factory output power to the amp for the mach 460 sound system, who makes it? I have heard bose, then harmon kardon, finally Ford custom, so who really makes this product and what is the power out of the head unit to drive the amp?

Today day 4 of the never ending project I will be wireing rca to the speaker cables turning the amp sens off and testing the level it either works, the protect circuit kicks in or it is new amp time but today the car is either thumpin or I am......

BravisD 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

In Closing, Going from the amp to the radioshack line to rca subwoofer inverter proved to be best, even over  the PAC. now it does rock...

If it's too Loud your too old or too young so I settled for the mid high...

Thanks for the insights...

wvsquirrel 
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
Glad I could help.
And I looked up your original PAC SNI-35. Even though the description states that it could be hooked up directly behind a receiver, it was referring to the High Level outputs on the receiver. On the Mach460 there are no High Level outputs, only Low Level going to the amp which is why it would need to be placed after the factory amplifier ;)
I also saw that your PAC was only rated for 2-20 RMS, so you still would have had some problems with the signal coming from the factory amps. Anyway...
I asked Ford directly about the manufacturer of their Mach460 and Mach1000 units and no one that I talked to had a clue. They didn't even do their own installs/repair work on stereos, people were being sent to a company in Orlando that supposedly installs them for Ford! Nice to know that Ford doesn't even do all their own work!
I'm glad you were able to get it to work. Happy thump'n
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
go2pac 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
If that is the 6 disc indash headunit then it is high passed at the headunit going directly to the speakers and line level going to the subwoofer amp. If you adding a subwoofer amp, tap into after ther factory amp. I would use the SNI-35 though, it handles up to 60 watts.
Karl
Pacific Accessory Corporation
Mobile Audio Interfacing Equipment
Connecting You to Your Music Since 1976

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic