icon

relay in remote turn on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jepherz 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
If I am going to hook up several amps and fans in my car I want to use a relay. Here's my question. I believe the remote turn on wire on most decks is 5v, is this correct? and if so, is it bad if i have 12 v running through the relay and hooked up to the amps to turn them on? are they only designed to take 5v? Thanks guys.
"Screw nitrous, I'd rather be blown."
dayzout 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Your RCA's have 5 volt output , but your remote wire has 12 volts.  It can be confusing, but that's OK .... You should use a relay when controling 2 or more amps due to current draw to keep them on.  to wire your relay just take your remote wire from the radio to pin 86, ground pin 85, connect ignition to pin 87, and finally use 30 to go to your amps .... hope this helped you out..  also please fuse the ignition and your remote wire form the radio to prevent damage ,   I would use a 5 amp for the remote and a 10 amp for the ignition wire.
jepherz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help Dayz. Just one last question, are you saying I should either hook my relay up to the ignition or the remote from the deck? Just pick on at random?
Thanks in advance.
dayzout 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Pin 30 will be your remote to your amps. The ignition wire is so that the relay is not energized all the time but only when the ignition is on. That will conduct large heat amount if not being drawn from or simply being used. AKA ... No unexpected dead ecuipment or fire hazzards.

Hope You understand for the safty of you vehicle. OK

dayzout 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

As for the 5 and 10 amp i mean use an inline fuse with those values to protect your equiptment from accidents or voltage spikes.

jepherz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help. Just another quick question, in addition to the fuses, do I want to put in diodes at all? also, what size connectors do i want to buy to fit on the relay pins? and one more....How, if you have pin 87 hooked up to a +12v all the time, is it heating anything up or drawing any power if it isnt connected? Or would that just be an ideal relay and non are actually that efficient?
Thanks again....
Very greatful,
Mr. "I didn't think it was this easy to cause a fire..."
jepherz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
What I mean by what size, which one of these will fit on a relay?
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CAtid=41&ObjectGroup_ID=400
hmouta 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
do relays use 1/4" male tabs?  why does the remote turn on need a fuse. i've never heard of that. just curious.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic