icon

Clifford AG4 Trunk Release Q.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Romey-ROme 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2002 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hey...I got a '92 Coupe DeVille that I just put a AvantGaurd 4 in to, except for the trunk release.  I'm trying to hook it up to the Aux A line, and I only get like .62 volts coming out (not matter the setting) when I trigger it. My trunk switch is on the 12+ line. So my question is, how do I get .62 volts to release something that needs 12?

Thanks

Roman

eduzerve 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2002 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

why dont you use a relay? plug 85 terminal to your .62 line and 86 to a ground, 30 to your trigger and 87 to a fused +12V line?

Eduardo

Romey-ROme 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

I'll give it a try. Don't know too much about relays, just what they look like. What kind would I need?

Thanks

eduzerve 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  

I think any relay with these terminals should work. Take a look at the diagram on the Basics section / Relays. I bought a couple of Ford relays at a very ugly auto parts store, and 2 relays and their sockets cost about 10 dollars, I think they will be much cheaper on the US

Terminals 85 and 86 don't matter much about polarity, you can hook up (theoretically) your .62v or your ground to any of those, because those activate the relay (turn the switch on)

How does your trunk release activates? do you have a switch on your dash?, is it alarm-activated or what? because by plugging terminal 87 of your relay to a fused 12v line and terminal 30 to your trunk release cable just like that, you could short the system. if you have a switch, cut your 12v cable that feeds the trunk release from the switch, then the end that goes to the switch, connect it to terminal 87a and the end that goes to the trunk release mechanism connect it to terminal 30. this will allow your mechanism to still work with your switch, as if you had never cut it. then connect the fused 12v line to terminal 87. What this will do is that when your Aux line feeds its .62 volts to the relay it will cut your switch cirtcuit and feed 12v to your trunk release, regardless of the voltage of your aux line.

Hope this works

Eduardo

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
just a note here it is always a great idea to get into the habit of using the proper polarity on the coil on relays. The reason for this is newer relays and especially ones you get from the auto parts store have a quenching diode inside across the coil 85 should be ground 86 should be positive. you will use a spdt type relay they come rated at 30 amps some 40 amps these will work fine. an example of relays that have an internal diode would be newer bosch relays.
Romey-ROme 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
         Thanks guys, I'll go pick some up in a bit. I'll let you know if I fry anything.Clifford AG4 Trunk Release Q. - Last Post -- posted image. Thank god for fuses....My trunk switch is in the glove BTW on the (+) line. It's a '92 Coupe DeVille.
eduzerve 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

mobiletoys,

what about on the diagrams here on this site about the 5 wire positive door locks? on one relay, positive comes thru 86 and on the other comes thru 85, and with ground wiring is just the reverse of that. I thought relays terminals 85 and 86 could be wired one way or another...

Eduardo

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic