icon

97 Mercury Mountaineer JBL Sub Amp Prblem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
justinemt 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
I own a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with the JBL premium sound system. The amp for the factory sub blew the other day. I have bought a new aftermarket amp to replace it but I can't figure out the factory wires. I'm not sure if the speaker inputs to the amp are speaker level or RCA preamp levels. I've tried hooking it up a few different ways and nothing seems to work. If anyone has any tips or wire diagrams that would be greatly appriciated. Thanks
hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
The aftermarket amp may not have speaker-level inputs. It may just have rca inputs. If there aren't any running from your head unit or any preamp outputs in the back of it, you might need a line output converter to convert your high input wires (speaker wires) to low input (rca's). Then purchase as many feet of rca wire as needed and connect the loc to the amplifier.
If you could list the brand, model and specs of your amp that would be help determine a better solution for you.
justinemt 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
The amp has speaker level and RCA inputs. I have found the proper power wires and the proper output post-amp wires but there are 3 wires left bundled up together, a red, white and black that no matter how i hook them up, to either input they don' t seem to work. I know one of them is the remote turn on lead but 2 of them actualy have about 3.5v of current. I have a factory wiring diagram but it is sketchy and isn't helping much.
justinemt 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2003 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I finaly figured it out. For refernce purposes the inputs are red= - white= + and they are low level inputs not speaker level

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic