icon

I Need Some Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
busy_pizzaman 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

I want to add some subs to my '99 S10 Blazer. I've got a good Pioneer Premier headunit and 6 pioneers to replace factory (2 4x6's; 2 5.25; and 2 6x9) all of which are three-way. I don't want any more than two tens, eights would be great, but I'm on a minimal budget, less than $300.00. Plus space is minimal so the subs will require a small sealed box. And I'm confused with the ohm's thing, I wanted to get good subs and a cheap amp then upgrade the amp later. But all the cheap amps show their ratings in 2 ohms or just say "2 ohm stereo stable" and all the subs are 4ohm. I'm not wanting to kill myself nor piss of my neighbors, it's just that I've customized most my car except for the rear interior.... and I wouldn't mind being able to thump when I was in that kind of mood.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Michael

radioactive 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
the best 10's i've heard in just a basic system were Orion Comps. powered by a Pioneer amp. sounded beautiful, it wasn't hair moving pressure but the good sound quality and bass along with it.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning"
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
you can find pioneer subs and small box for cheapat wal-mart, and they would match the rest of your system. they may even have a pioneer amp cheap. check them out.
Big Dave
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Most SVC subs are 4ohm. Most DVC subs will come in 2 or 4 ohm models.
The amp's ohm rating is the minimum impodence (ohm level) that the amp is stable at. 2ohm Stereo stable means the amp will perform stabely with a 2ohm load per channel. When dealing with multi-channel amps, a mono rating is for the combination of 2 channels into 1 (meaning using the + from 1 channel and the - from another). A 2ohm stereo stable amp is usually only 4ohms mono stable.
A speaker or sub's ohm rating is the impodence level of the sub itself. By different wiring methods, you are able to change the total ohm level that is presented to an amp. Here's a link to a wiring wizard that will let you change the values to get a better idea of what will be presented to an amp.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Here is a set of subs that won't break your budget and sound real good.  DBdrive subs sound good and you normally can get them for cheap.  I am not sure but I hear that they are made by JL
busy_pizzaman 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

If each speaker is maxxed at 400w should I get an 800w amp to run them in bridged mono in a parellel configuration, this would create a 2 ohm load but what if the amp is rated for 800w max at 4 ohm. Or should I just get a 400w max amp to go with the subs? Sorry for all the questions! I really appreciate the help. 

-Michael

Good Luck, Michael M
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
Don't concentrate on the "Max" values, it's the RMS values that you need to be concerned with.
If you have 2 SVC subs that are 4ohms and 200w RMS each, then you would want an amp rated at 200 x 2 @ 4ohms or 400 x 1 @ 2ohms.
What subs do you have in mind?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic