icon

Amp speaker wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jepherz 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
if I am driving 85w x 4, what size speaker wire do you guys recommend I use? also, I would like to know what type of connectors to purchase to hook up between the speaker outputs on the amp and the speaker wire. Give me a link please
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=68
Thanks guys,
Jepherz
"Screw nitrous, I'd rather be blown."
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
16 gauge would be my recommendation. Without knowing the amp it's hard to say specifically about the connectors.... But just about every amp I've seen uses Terminal Fork Adapters
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

As far as the wire goes I would suggest a 14 or 16 gauge for your speakers. As far as hooking them up to the amp they will mount securely using the compression crimp screw terminals on the amp but if you want you can use any #10 fork.

hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
You will need insulated female disconnects if you need connectors for hooking your speaker wire to the speaker(s)...if the speaker(s) are aftermarket ones. One terminal will be 1/4", but you'll need a smaller one for the other terminal. You can get a package of mixed sizes at Radio Shack for like $2 each. For the amplifier, you could use either spade or ring terminals...it just depends on how large the screw on your amp speaker terminal is...if you want to be safe, go with spade for speaker-to-amp connections. As far as speaker wire size, either 16 or 18 gauge should be fine.
1/4" female disconnect
spade terminals

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic