icon

tweeters keep blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skylark 
Copper - Posts: 191
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2003 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
i have an lanzar vibe 410 4 channel amp. now 2 channels are running my 6.5 speakers while the other 2 channels are running my tweets i have blown over 8 pairs of tweets from kickers,polk, and some cheap walmart tweets now all the tweets peak power was from 100 to 175 and the amp only puts out 100 watts per channel max so what am i doing wrong? whats funny is the walmart tweets outlasted all the name brand tweets. so now im wondering if i could just get 2 pairs of tweets and run them in parallel so they dont overload now can i do that remember i will run them off the other 2 channels that i was running the other tweets off of.  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,please help!
goingcrazyonsound
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2003 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
one more thing i also used bass blockers and the amp has a built in crossover so i know no bass ever went to the tweets
goingcrazyonsound
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2003 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like you may have the gain on the amp set too high for the tweets. How high is the gain set?

skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2003 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

about the same as the 6.5 come to think about it i do have it turned up all the way now i am going to turn it down but can i still run 2 pairs of tweets off one pair of channels?

goingcrazyonsound
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2003 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

That amp is 2 ohm stable so yes you can wire 2 sets of tweeters in parallel to the amp. But I would suggest that you turn the gain down that is probably what is blowing the tweeters. You can have the best tweeters out there but if you are sending them a clipped distorted signal they will blow. Here is an explanation on how to set the gains but tweeters are a little more difficult to adjust since it is hard to hear the distortion sometimes. https://incolor.inebraska.com/weisinator/car-audio-basics/set_amp_gains.htm

skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

their is two gains on my amp so i turn the gain down on the tweets but keep the gain at the same level on the 6.5 speakers. this wont effect the power of my amp right?

goingcrazyonsound
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  
If the tweeters are hooked up on 2 channels, and the 6.5's are run on another 2 channels, then only the tweeters should be affected
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
Also, you say you used "bass blockers," but most real tweeters require crossovers on the order of 3500 Hz or higher.  What crossover point are you using?  Too low, and you will "blow" them, no problem.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
I am glad someone brought up this subject.  I have been having problems with tweeters for the longest.  It looks like I have tried everything but nothing works.  My tweeters came with crossovers and the crossovers actually exploded before the tweeters fried.  replaced the crossover and this time the tweeters and the crossover fried together.  Tried other tweeters and they all seem to go out.  My system is crossed over at 180 using the highpass filter on the radio and at about 300 at the amp. 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

300 Hz is way too low for a tweeter.  This is a mid bass/midrange frequency.

Remember also that many tweeters list their power rating for the SYSTEM they are designed to operate in, not for the amount of amplifier power they will handle directly.  In a standard 2-way speaker setup (woofer and tweeter) approximately 75% of amplifier power goes to producing the low frequencies in the woofer, and only 25% to the tweeter.  So in tweeters, listed power ratings are often for amplifier program power, and assume you are using the proper crossover for the tweeter. 

The fastest way to toast a tweeter is to send it low frequencies at relatively high power, and the fastest way to toast a high-pass crossover is to send it too much power.  Passive crossovers are rated for the maximum voltage the capacitors can handle, and exceeding that by even a little in a cheaper xover can result in "max smoke."  An electronic crossover is a much better solution, but requires more time, money and care to set it up properly.

Tweeters should be crossed over between 2500 to 5000 Hz, depending on the driver's ratings, and generally the higher the better.  A passive crossover should be rated for 1.5 times the system power you intend to throw at it.  You need a mid-bass and/or midrange driver to handle the frequencies between your subs and the tweets.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic