icon

speakers sound muffled?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crichols82 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
hey guys. I posted a similar problem a few weeks ago.  My front and rear speakers in my car are sounding mufflled for 10-20 secs, then sound normal again for about the same time.  It keeps fading in and out like that.  Before I had this problem when I had my amp and sub in the car, and I just re-secured the RCA connection and the problem seemed to go away. Well I removed the sub and amp a few days ago and now it is doing the same thing again only now I have no RCA's to reconnect! The wiring harness seems secure...any ideas??
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
Your headunit may be having problems. Try running a temp set of wires to a seperate 4ohm speaker and see if it does the same thing. If it does, then more than likely your headunit's internal amp is malfunctioning
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
crichols82 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

alright ill try that and let u know how it goes....thanks for the help man

crichols82 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

Okay heres what I did.....First I called Kenwood to see if they had any ideas either.....The guy I spoke to said to just reset the HU, and if all the cables were correct and it still didnt work, then most likely (like you said wvsquirrel) the internal amp was not working properly.  I tried this and it didnt work so Im not sure what else to do, because I dont have any extra speakers laying around.  Is there any way to bypass the internal amp with something else?

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  
Depending on the model, you can run RCA's to a seperate external amp to run your internal speakers. But your best bet would be to return the headunit to Kenwood for repairs if it is still under warranty. If it is not (out of warranty repairs can get quite expensive), then you may want to start looking into a new headunit.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
crichols82 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
okay heres something weird.....i tried (for about the 12th time) taking out the HU and resecureing the wires, then I messed around with the EQ settings built into the unit and now it works for some reason....Im really confused but kind of relieved.  I think this is probobly a temporary fix to the problem and it will most likely happen again...I just dont understand why all of a sudden it would work
wvsquirrel 
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
If the headunit has a built-in equilizer then that may be the problem instead of the internal amp. Hard to say without being able to play with it myself.
Do you have RCA pre-outs for front and rear? If you do then you can try using them instead of the speaker level outputs from the headunit. If you can do that and you can adjust the equalizer without causing the problem to reocur, then the problem is with the internal amp. If you do that and adjusting the equilizer still causes the same problem, then the problem is with the equilizer.
Either way, it sounds like your headunit needs to be repaiRED / replaced...
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic