icon

What kind of amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
91civicdx 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

i have 2 directed comp x 12. they are dvc and each coil is 4 ohms. each sub handle 1100 watts peak  at spl music, normal music is 700 wat peak and 400 watts rms. i use to run them with a boss rip 995 class ab amp but i want a class d. im selling the amp in the buy sell in the web site. i was lookin at a MA AUDIO amp or Alpine but too expensive. does anyone know of a good class d amp that would power those subs. here is a link http://www.directed.com/audio/compx/compX_specs.asp#spec

thanks

carlos

Riding in a civic
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
How much do you want to spend?? I can tell you amps out of my personal experience that are good but that all depends on how nuch you wanna spend. A digital amp is great for space being they are fairly small and they still deliver. Alpine is not worth it for the price.Ma audio is ok but i know of better and cheaper too. Im not saying alpine is bad but not worth the price in my mind. some good amps are mtx,rockford fosgate,extant,jbl makes a nice mono block,us acoustics makes great amps at a great price. post back
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
Orion
Rockford Fosgate
Phoenix Gold
US Amps
Memphis (?)
<cIntosh
these are very good amps for a start
MTX has some good ones, too.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Oh glasswolf  i almost forgot mcintosh you know i love that amp and you know what else i used to love. Remember the old Precision Powers, The ones with the drawings those were some nice amp's. I guess they still make good amps but i never liked them too much when they changed the look. What did you think about those amps?? You know  i seen one  near me the guy i know he is selling one i'm thinking about buying it. not only for memories of my old system ,but they really looked and performed nice.What kind of amp  -- posted image.
omega 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2002 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

Hey, since you have Directed subs, why don't you get a Directed amp?  The Directed 1200d and the Viper series D class amps are actually quite good and reliable--widely recommended. 

The 1200d also has a fairly small footprint.  Just thought I'd add that in if you hadn't already thought about it.

GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2002 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
PPI Art-series were fantastic amps. I used to sell them.
I'm using one as my four-channel in my competition setup.
the Sedona series weren't as good.. high THD.. and the new stuff is total crap. No longer made in the US, now it's Chinese or Philipine or something.. quality went to crap.. not like the old Art series.
if that one for sale is a four channel, and its an art series and not a sedona, let me know what he wants for it?
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
91civicdx 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2002 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

i want to go with a directed amp but for 2 1100d will cost me about $1100 or one 2400d will cost about the same. my friend is tryin to sell me a use ppi for $500 and i could an MA audio of ebay for $400. if i dont get directed i want Phoenix Gold but lookin for something cheaper. Price to work around is $700

thanks

carlos

Riding in a civic
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2002 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
Im telling you civic a us acoustics for the price is great.  do research you will see that there rally is no complaints about the amp. they have a mean amp there top of the line mono block the usx1000d it had a power rating of 750 watts rms at 2 ohms and we are not done yet it is stable to 1 ohm with 1,250 watts rms at 12.9 volt , it  also has a wired bass control knob,an 18/db octave x over the price is $479 at crutchfield now you can get them cheaper other places but if you buy it at crutchfield you get the 3 year warranty that they offer.These amps are built in the united states and they all have verry conservative power ratings.Im telling you wire this amp down to one ohm and you will create a serious block party. thats if your subs can take all that power.What kind of amp  -- posted image.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2002 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
With all that money left over you can go get your self some ear protection or a hearing aid. Maybe a nother sub hey you never know. What kind of amp  -- posted image.
omega 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2002 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

I'll agree that US Acoustics makes some good amps for the money.  However, 91civicdx, I hope you have a beefy aftermarket electrical system w/high output alternator.  If you plan on running over 1000W you're definitely going to need it or the amps will go into undercurrent/undervoltage protection all the time.  (Most small Hondas can't even cope with 1000W on their stock electrical system.)

Also where are you getting those prices?  I think the DEI 1200d should be about $400-$450 each.  What PPI amp is that anyway?

Anyhow, in any case if you want maximum bang for the buck with quality, use the all-purpose solution.  The JBL 1200.1.  Will put out 1300-1400W @14.4V into 2 or 1 Ohms, is Class D, and is widely available for $250-$300.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic