icon

Amplifier Fuse Causing Melt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wmosher 
Copper - Posts: 28
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
My friend has a 1200 watt Boss amp (dont laugh) pushing 2 10" sony xplod's. he had a 30A Fuse in the amp, and it popped. so he put a 40A fuse in, and the little plastice around where the fuse goes, is melting. the fuse under the hood also gets very hot, and burnt up the holder for it. any help would be greatly appreciated. wmosher3@tampabay.rr.com
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
If it is really 1200 watts, it is drawing around 100 amps, i assume if you are using a 30A fuse you are also using like 8 gauge wire...? Too much current draw, use the correct fuse sizes and wire sizes (if they are incorrect)
JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

a few things...

your power wire may not be big enough (get a bigger guage)

your ground may not be connected well enough (try relocating it)

1200 watts....that is a lot of power, put the same size fuse in the amp as it came with...then make sure the fuse under the hood is about 10amps bigger

It conclusions,,,,use what size fuse and power wire Boss recommends you use for that amp,,,going smaller will give such problems

You might also be over loading your amp...so check what Boss says your amp can be run at and make sure the total sub impencance is not lower than that

wmosher 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
yes, 8 gauge wire. 60a fuse in the power wire and now 40a in the amplifier. what should i be using? or is there some other reason it is doing this?
wmosher 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
i dont know the fuse specifications for the amplifier.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
well having a wire larger than needed will never hurt so if the amp really puts out 1200 watts you are looking at 2-4 gauge, i would recommend 2 gauge, with maybe 100 A fuses, that should be fine since that 1200 watt rating is most likely peak
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
the electrical system prolly cant take it and is heating up.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
wmosher 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
well, it is a BOSS amplifier. so it is probably putting out 600 watts at the most, even though it is a 1200 watt. i dont think he wants to run 2 gauge wire (for now anyways) what size fuse should he put in the 8 gauge? and in the amplifier?
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
The amplifier fuse you should go back to running with a 30 if that is what it orginally came with. Putting a larger fuse into the amp is going to leave you with little to no protection. You will probably want around a 60amp fuse on an 8 gauge install.
wmosher 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
ok, thats what im saying. im having problems with it. i have a 60 fuse in the power wire, and i use a 30 in the amp and it keeps poppin, when i use a 40, it melts the plastic around the fuse on the amp.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic