icon

Amplifier Ohms Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wmosher 
Copper - Posts: 28
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question reguarding ohms. i see the specifications on amplifiers, and it kinda confuses me. I thought i had the ohms formula down pretty good, but im kinda confused. Take these amplifier specifications for example:
Product Features:
MAX Power (2 Ohm) 600w X 2
RMS Power (4 Ohm) 220w X 2
Bridged Power 440w X 1
Ok, so say i have 2 4-ohm speakers bridged, so that makes one channel, correct?. does that still mean im only getting 440watts? or since it would be down to 2ohm's, am i getting the complete 1200watts x 1 max?
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
You are getting 440w RMS. Probably less than that being a Boss amp. How do u have your speakers wired? One to each set of speaker outputs??
wmosher 
Copper - Posts: 28
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2003 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
as of now, i have them bridged. both positives on one channel and both negatives on the second channel. which i tohught would drop the ohms down to 2, and give me the max output power
benjaminthe1st 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
if you are running 2 4ohm subs in parrallel (+) to (+), (-) to (-) you would have a 2ohm situation bridged the amplifier would see 1ohm.  Even if you are running the two subwoofers independently wired each positive going to a common connection i.e. ch 1's (+), and the negative going to ch2's (-) you are still showing the same load.  The amplifier is likely to be unstable especially at increased levels, and is apt to get hot or go into protection.  If you were running DVC's I'd just suggest running one sub ran paralel per channel, but that isn't the case.  Be careful to monitor the amp, if you're in a sealed application you're more likely to get it to go into protect then a vented application.
Discount Car Stereo
23446 Pac Hwy Kent, WA 98032
Resonant Engineering, Orion, Planet Audio, Soundstream, Panasonic, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, Compustar, DEI,Toucan, Matrix Other lines
muzikmannn 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
your running both subs paralleled which is 2 ohm and your running the amp bridged. This amp will only be stable at 4 ohms when bridged or 2 ohm when not bridged. You need two 8 ohm subs parrelled for a total of 4 ohm runn9ing accross that amp of your bridged as you have it. If you keep the amp like it is and go crankin it then your gonna fry the amp. It will go into thermal runaway and say goodbye!!!! 
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

all this depends i have a pos sony that is 4channel but i have both channels bridged with  2 4ohm loads on each, the amp is seeing 2 2ohm loads and it plays almost seamless.

Quad L Handyman services
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah that is fine it will work the same on that boss amp as the setup you've got there on ur sony. Most of these amps are 2ohms stable stereo but not in mono.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2003 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Ketel22, it's the "almost" in "almost seamless" that will eventually fry that amp, and possibly your subs. Why not replace it with a better amp that's stable at your ohm load?
What part of MD are you from? Walkersville raised myself.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2003 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
yeah if u got two 4ohm subs....wire them in stereo(4 ohms per channel)  if you wire them in parallel that would read a 2ohm load mono to the amp...and u will not have an amp much longer!  not with that amp anyway!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic