icon

1996 Dodge Caravan Keyless Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NateDG 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2003 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
I know I am supposed to look around to find my answer but searching around has just made me more confused to due to all the different info. Im trying to install the keyless entry portion of my new vehicle security system. I have learned that I have the single wire power lock/unlock setup. I also know that I have to put  a 15k ohm resistor and a 249 ohm resistor in the line. This is where my confusion comes from, the wiring diagram included with the system shows something about having to put a blocking diode on both lines as well, the diagram on here shows this as well. I don't know what order they go in or anything like that. The diagram simply shows a sqiggly line with an arrow pointing towards the brain box. Also on an info page from D.E.I. it says something about using relays and setting it up for a negative trigger and the booklet included with my system says nothing about that, neither does the diagram on here. I am kinda confused about this whole thing. If anyone can please shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated.
-Nate
wire4veins 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2003 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
Beacuse you are going to run a One wire system you need to use (2) diodes to block the "backflow or and bleeding" of electricity through the lines. Think of it as a one- way check valve. The "negative pulse" from the alarm brain itself is a 800 milla-amp pulse. It is always recommended that you use 2 relays to take that pulse to a 30A output for your locks to function properly. Most of your diagrams are found on the right of the screen.
NateDG 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2003 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
I see, well I am still wondering what sequence should I hook all this up in? The diagram on here didn't show anything about using relays for this, just a couple resistors and diodes. This is where I am most confused. In what sequence should everything be hooked up? Also what kind of diode do I use, or is there mainly only one kind? Please let me know.
-Nate
NateDG 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2003 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  
Oh, yea another thinkg I forgot to mention, I found out that my system has 300MA lock/unlock outputs not 800. Will I still need the resistors? Also the booklet that came with this thing says I can just tap right into the (-) parking light wire, Apparently it has an on-board realy I didn't know about. Anyway do you think you can elaborate a little better for me as to a good way to wire the brain directly to the parking lights? I think thats it for now...
-Nate
NateDG 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2003 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged  
I meant relays not resistors in line 2...
-Nate
NateDG 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2003 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  
Just a basic rundown- what do I need to do to hook up the keyless entry function of my alarm on a 1996 Dodge Caravan that has a single wire system. The lock/unlock outputs from the brain are both (-) and thay are 300MA outputs. I have the wiring diagram from a DEI alarm but I don't think it applies here cause I think that the L/UL outputs on those might be (+) with a higher output current. According to the DEI paper, I need to "use relays and set up for negative trigger" and place a 15K ohm resistor on the lock wire and a 250 ohm resistor on the unlock wire. Not to mention the diagram on here saying something about needing 2 diodes and a single resistor, while the booklet included with my system mentions the diodes but only one resistor. I am so unbeleivably confused right now I don't know what to do. I hope someone can help me with this.  As you all can probably tell, I am very new at this alarm stuff and all. But I have to learn somehow...
-Nate

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic