icon

Painting interior plastic pieces

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2003 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, any help would be cool....I tried searching, but didn't come across much.
Some of my plastic panels in my car are scratched up. I was going to paint them (keeping them black), and hopefully get rid of the scratches. I started with the plastic piece under the steering wheel (in front of the driver's knees). I sanded it down, and then spray painted it. The color came out ok, but the rest came out like crap. It's not smooth anymore to the touch...it feels rough (almost like it has tiny hairs or something).
What did I do wrong? Maybe I used too rough of a sandpaper? Maybe the spraypaint was too cheap? I'm not sure how to fix this, and then do the other pieces (especially the instrument panel...that ones really needs it). (No, I'm not doing the dash). I've heard semi-good things about Krylon's new paint.
Any ideas?
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
copcarguy 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2003 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
Anytime I want to get an interior piece painted I take it to the local body shop and have them blow a coat over it. It may cost a few $ but in the long run it's easier than trying to lay down paint out of a spray can. My body guy will usually charge around $45.00 for an "A" pillar piece for gauges but the most expensive part is getting the job started, usually the cost does not go up much for more pieces.
Good luck!
R Jackson
Owner/Installer
TRM Emergency Vehicles
Information is advice only and should be confirmed with OEM or quality test equipment.
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
TomEllis 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a good link describing how to paint interior pieces.
Interior Painting
Good Luck,
Tom
Painting interior plastic pieces - Last Post -- posted image.
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2003 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged  
Cool, thanks for the link. I guess my first step is to fix the panel piece that I screwed up. It's all rough now and too shiny. So I guess I can resand it, and then paint it with flat black.
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic