icon

How do I make these tweeter pods?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crudeau 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2003 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
I am looking to make my own tweeter pods. I know my locations are not the best for some but I like the looks. But I am not sure how to fabricate them. I have read enough on how to work with fiberglass. But how would I make this....
How do I make these tweeter pods? - Last Post -- posted image.
I have MB quart QSD's 6.5 I think the tweeters are 1". I am thinking that I have to use the moun that the tweeter fits in, surface mount. I was thinking I could mount this to my stock sail panel cover. but then what? Do I use plaster paris (sp?) and build up and sand until I have the shape I want, then cover it with fiberglass? The other tricky area is how to get the fiberglass to look nice along the edges of the tweeter mount.
Then I also want to mount the rear tweeter in the holes where the rear seat belts are, on the top rear quarters. I was thinking something that looks like a autometer pillar pod for gauges.
I guess my reall question is how to I make a mold or what to I use as the sub structure, and then how do I roll the fiberglass to meet with the tweeter grills.
crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2003 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
I saw on alpines site that they used some stuff called "Duraglass".   It was sort of like using clay, from what I could tell.  I think that is what I would want to use.  I could then mount the tweeters surface mount to the factory sail panel and just pack this stuff on.  But is this stuff sticky, to where it will just adhere to everything?  and can I just sand it and paint it?
crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

no one knows?  Through reading the posts in this section, it looks like most would say use a cotton based T-shirt.  My problem is that I do not have much room to fold the stuff under the sail panel. 

I figure my basic steps are first screw the tweeter mounting cup to the sail panel, stretch, resin, one sheet of mat.  then cut the tweeter hole, bondo, paint, and install the tweeter.

But is one mat enough, since the T-shirt is sort of like another layer of mat.  And my tweeter cups have two rings.  The two rings are for grill to snap in.  How in the world do I get the glass to look good?

bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2003 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

For that particular application I'd pull vinyl or use a low gloss paint to blend/contrast with the rest of the door.  And yes, a shirt and a layer or two will do fine as long as you have a reasonable amount of strength.  For this job you might want to use the figerglass cloth with the chopped mat as well.  It'll give you a smoother/stronger finish in the areas you used the cloth.

LatinMax 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

OK. I kow that I have never posted here and I am new to this forum. But this is what you need to do.

Mount the tweeter base that it comes with on you exsisting door part (ie the triangle part on the inside of your mirror) and angle it in the direction you want it.

Then pull speaker grill cloth over the whole assembly. Make sure to put a staple or nail or something in the middle of the tweeter pod so that it pulls tight against all the edges of the tweeter mount and around the back edge of the triangle peice that you have taken off the car.

Then put you FG resin on and let it set up.

Then you cand off the excess cloth and repeat the process one more time if needed. (most of the time it is not needed) The speaker grill cloth is thin enough to pallow it to be a little flexable and for the tweeter to fit when you are done.

Now all you have to do is paint it or cover it with material.

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
ok.....the post by latin max was the most correct.
what you need to do is use the flush mount cup that comes with the tweeters. then rought it up really good with 40 grit sand paper. mount it at the angle that you want with a screw and a shim or CA glue. then take your grill cloth and stretch it over the cup, around to the back of the sail panel( the triangle piece of the car).
then attach it with a good glue. i DON"T always reccomend hot glue. you can use a good upolstry spray grade glue. then resin it. then you can drill a hole in the back and pour a mixture of resin and duraglass in the back. this will give you the thickness you need. then from there you might need to smooth it out with some bodyfiller if it warps at all. then texture and dye it, vinyl wrap it, or what ever.
peace,
Trevor

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic