icon

Digital Cameras and batteries

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Devil_Boy 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2003 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
This is kinda off-topic, but what better people to ask about batteries then this forum. I figure someone has to know something. So i hope this question fits into Misc.
I recently bought a digital camera, its not a big high quality one, but its works great for what i need it for. After draining the batteries that came with it that day, i figured i better go buy some rechargeable batteries. I bought 4 NiMH 2100mah AA batteries. They costed me an outstanding cnd$35. I never bought a charger at the time because i knew we had a few chargers at home and im not sure if they did NiMH batteries, so i decided to wait for the charger. After i got home i realized none of my chargers would charge that type of batteries, so oh well, i used the batteries (as they were already charged). A coupel days go by and i am at another store so just for the hell of it i looked at batteries. And they had 4 NiMH 1850mah for cnd$15. And the charger for 29.99 (which also came with 2 batteries. I was amazed at the price difference. Unfortunatly i did not notice the different 'mah' of the batteries, until a got home.
Now my question I now have 4 x Nimh 2100mah AND 6 x NiMH 1850mah and charger. I dont quite understand what 'mAh' is????
Will the charger that charges 1850mAh be able to charge the 2100mAh batteries, or will they blow up.
I have not open the 1850mAh stuff yet, so it is returnable, unfortunatly the 2100mAh has been opened and the batteries are drained, so i highly doubt i could return them.
Anyways, Thanks for your help, i just dont know what to do at the moment.
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2003 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
"mAh" stands for "milliAmphours". It's a reference term that stands for how many milliamps the charger will supply to the batteries. You won't blow up the batteries if you use the lesser powered charger. (Trust me, I've tried to to overvolt a battery and it's harder than you think) You WILL, however, see a lower standard of performance (However marginal) from using the lower current charger. But hey, it's better than spending more!!!
Devil_Boy 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2003 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
So basically i should keep what i got, and the charger will charge the 2100mAh, just not to peak performance.
That sounds good to me, because the charger for these 2100mAh Batteries was another $70, i never knew batteries were that expensive.
Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic