icon

Refurb or Not Refurb?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
84celica 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2002 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

I went to a Circuit City today during my lunch hour to check out their stock. I was talking to a sales guy about the Alpines I plan to put in my car when he said he could get them for me for $249.99. I told him that a local shop had them for $169.99 and he proceeded to tell me that they could not possibly sell them that cheap and that if they were that they were refurbished units and that they could not be new. How on earth can I find out if they are refurbs or not. I don't want to buy a set of speakers only to find out they are refurbs being sold as new. I have not asked the shop yet if they are but I expect them to basically tell me anything to sell a set of speakers. Now that I think of it, the CC salesmen could be doing the same thing... PLEASE HELP!!! I don't want to get ripped off...

Thanks, Jeff

omega 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2002 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  

Refurbs will say on the box or on the packaging somewhere that they are refurbs.  Whomever has refurbished the equipement (be it the manufacturer or a third party company) has the obligation to make it clear on the box that the item is refurbished.

The salespeople at places like Circuit City often don't know anything or just tell lies so you can buy stuff in their store.  Circuit City is also overpriced so to me it would seem that the $170 price would be 1st quality as it is only an $80 difference.

Perhaps the local store with the $170 price tag is not "authourised" and you might not get the full factory warranty.  Ask the store if they are authourised or not and if the factory warranty applies. 

I'm willing to bet, though that the $170 is legit and authourised as Circuit City is one of the worst places to buy stuff at, in my opinion.

84celica 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2002 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
I kinda figured that as I was talking to the salesmen and listening to him tell someone else that JL W7 Subs are junk and that they should buy one of their new R series subs instead. Anything to make a sale I guess. I'll ask the local shop if they are Alpine Authorized or not and whether or not I would get the full factory warranty. Thanks, Jeff
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2002 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
Call Alpine, ask if the shop is an authorized Alpine dealer.
Then ask at the shop if they are new or refurbished.
Also don't trust circuit city. they know very little for the most part there.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic