RCA Cables

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lebult 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2003 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

Hey,

I bought an AMP kit, and noticed that my RCA cables have a little black ground cable attached (I'm assuming its the ground).

Would I just ground this out to the same grounds as the HU and AMP?

I've never seen RCAs with a ground cable, is this common for Amp RCAs?
I've heard of RCAs with built in grounds, should I get one of those??

Thanks,

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2003 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

ground it out at the amp of the connections, it helps get rid of distortion.

Quad L Handyman services
GavinJuice 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2003 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
That little black "ground wire" that you are seeing is the remote turn on wire. Some of the lower grade cables have those available to you, but in actuality they can cause interference with the RCA's making them worthless to use. Your best thing to do is leave the little black wire there and run a seperate remote turn on wire to the amp. (You probably received that in the kit.) Make sure your RCA's are one side of the car, and your remote turn on and power wire are on the other to prevent any static or interference. Good Luck
rock and roll!!
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2003 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
this is not the case gavin, as having a remote power run through the actual RCA would induce noise, these are in fact designed as a ground, to help take care of some noise, as was previously mentioned, and is briefly touched in your post...
I never bother with these wires, I usually cut them so they are not exposed and dont hook them up anywhere...
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2003 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
After reading all the posts here, I have a few questions of my own. What good would grounding a wire attached to RCAs do? How is it that a ground wire cancels noise? I dont think thats the case. Another question is the post about the remote wire and the RCA's. RCA's pick up noise usually caused from high amounts of current close to them (aka. magnetic fields). Are you aware that a remote wire attached to the remote output of a CD player is approximately 230 milli-amps? You will not pick up any noise from this extremely low amount of current.
Along with that comment, anyone who purchases an amplifier kit which has the low grade RCA's as described, is most likely installing a subwoofer amplifier. Because anyone into SQ, would definitely be purchasing a higher grade RCA cable. If the amp is for a subwoofer, you can run actually run the RCA's on either side of the car, along with the power cable. The engine noise picked up by the RCA's is a high frequency and will not be carried through the crossover.
However, after all has been said and asked. I personally, would still run the RCAs on the opposite side of the car, just because I am anal retentive about the installs that I do. LOL. But just wanted to explain that it doesnt always matter.
seven 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2003 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

bingo your ground one end to the HU and the other to your amp..  i v only used about 10 amps but out of those 10, 2 of them actually had an RCA grounding point...  if u got use it.. cant see it hurting.. the more grounds the better...

- Seven

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic