icon

lil help here?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

aright 2 questions: 1st.........i wired up my own head unit about 4 months ago.....it all went perfect, nothing wrong with it at all...... so about a week ago my friend got her parents old truck and wanted to put a new head unit in it.......so i did it for her.......my only problem was that there were no labels on the old wires like there were on mine.......i kinda had to guess and i figured it out through trial and error (no voltometer in my house).......well last night i asked her how it was and she said that every time she turned it off, the settings went away, which basically means i screwed up the constant power wire right????.......its an 87 dodge ram 50........if you have any past knowledge any help would be appreciated........

2nd: for the same truck.......all it has is some 3 1/2's up front under the windshield...... then once i get my job at bestbuy i was gonna hook her up with a sub and amp, wires....all that shiit...... my question was..... since those are the only places for speakers, she prolly wont get many mids only highs and lows......and her parents wouldnt let her do any custom work to door panels or nothin.....soooo.....is there any 3 1/2's that are 3 or 4 ways????.....cuz the 2 ways arent gonna cut it.......cuz i have 2 ways all the way around....and i need some 3's or 4's cuz my system sounds bad........ aright....any ideas or knowledge would be appreciated.......

iairj84 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
OK i have the 89 model of that truck... i have all the wiring diagrams for that truck if you want them, i also believe they have them on this site. what it sounds like is that you connected the wires to the power source that is only working while the engine or the acc is on, for the presets and settings to be saved, that power has to be constant, you can get that from the ciggarette lighter, etc.    about the speakers, i have the same problem, 4's will actually fit in there, and memphis audio makes some good ones, i use a pair of those, i also put some 6x9's in some boxes behind the seat, you wont lose any leg room and they sound pretty great... there are a couple vents, if you look   on the side wall you can see them, i think they are vents for the interior, and if they are you dont want to plug them, but if they arent you could probobly put a couple 5'1/4's in there... If you have any more questions on this truck just let me know, i have done just about all that i think i can with mine, ripped it apart and put it back together many times... just let me know!
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
sure man i'll take you up on that wiring diagram.......i prolly just mixed up a wire..... somehow.......but yea i'll take that diagram........hopefully i can figure it out
iairj84 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
ya i have made that mistake once or twice before.. this diagram helps though
Constant 12 volt......... White or WHITE/ black
Ignition 12 volts (the one you want).....BLACK/ white
Starter...................BLACK / YELLOW
Parking Lamp.............. GREEN / WHITE
Dome light................ RED / green or GREEN/ red
Horn...................... GREEN/ Black
Headlights................ RED / yellow (lows) and RED / green (hi's)
That should do it... let me know if you have any other questions

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic