the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

I have voltage on my remote all the time.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ronnyd8719 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

I am having problems with battery drain. If I drive my truck daily I have no problems, but if it sits a day the next day the battery is to weak to turn it over. I have been trouble shooting. I came across the remote acc to turn the amps on and I find I have a .01 volt on the line at all times. I disconnected it form the fuse box and I still have the .01 volt on the line. Is this the norm. I am about to put out the audio and alarm if the battery will not stop this. I bought it used and when I first bought it it didn't sit for a day. So the problem may have been there before. and I may be chasing something in my work and it is in another part of the truck. Anyone have a idea what can have a very slow drain on a battery. I would think amps and radios. I have a 1999 Mazda B3000 prerunner. They don't call it a prerunner, but it is a truck that looks like a 4x4 and is not. Any help would be welcome.

Thanks Ron

TomEllis 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
Ron,
.01 Volts is NOT enough to drain the battery. You have a drain somewhere else. How old is the battery?If the battery is old, it might not be holding a charge for any period of time.If the battery is new, try disconnecting the positive cable and hook your voltmeter between the disconnected cable and the battery and see if it shows a voltage. If it does, then you do have something draining the battery.Keep checking ALL possibilities and good luck,
Tom
I have voltage on my remote all the time. - Last Post -- posted image.
ronnyd8719 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

The battery is a year and a month. So it is not old. I had it check out. I will try removing the posive cable like you said.

Thanks for the help ron

ronnyd8719 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

I went and checked it out tonight. I have a full. 12.50 volts. I guess I have some wire tracing to do. Again thanks. I didn't know how to be sure it was a short. It seems if it were a short it would be getting something hot. I had a truck I put a alarm in once and I put the wrong type of door switches and the wire lite up like a light bulb. and burnt the rubber mat. This one will be hard to find. It is a very slow drain and the only thing I have found warm is the sdpt relays. I have checked and they are wire right. If you have any ideas they are very welcome.

Thanks Ron

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
 Normal battery voltage and current draw
• A healthy battery is about 12.2 - 12.8 volts
• A not so good battery ( but still operational ) is about 11.4 - 12 volts
• A battery needing replacement will read under 11 volts ( about 10.5 - 10.8 )
Anything over a 25ma draw is considered parasitic.  Use your DC ma current setting on your dmm.  Put it in line with your battery to check to see if the battery has a parasitic draw.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic