icon

Power Drain

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phill_b 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

I have an anoying problem.  I have quite the current drain when there is alot of bass.  I have taken some steps to remady but still not resolved.  I have a Rockford Fausgate DB 1000 amp and a 1 F Cap.  I use 2 gauge AWD throught.  My box is a cheap one.  Dont know the specs but box has 2 10' Fausgate Punch.  I have a 2001 Honda Civic and have replaced the battery assuming that it could be that.  I have spoken with a few Civic owners and they state that they never had a problem and didnt even really need a cap.  Could there be something that could be causing the major drain.  My thought might be a bad ground but have used a self tapping screw and have polished to bare metal.  Any thoughts?

Phill

hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
well I'm assuming you have the sub wired to 2 ohms, and therefore have 1000 watts rms running into those subs. I don't know how good your electrical system is, but unless you've done an upgrade on your alternator, there's no way your stock system can handle that kind of load. That amp alone will draw around 80 amps. The fuse on the amp is 100 amps. You should check with a parts store or a dealer to see how many amps your alternator can put out. And double check your subs rms specs to see if your not overpowering them.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
Your problem is your cars charging system cannot put out enough power for everything. You can get a new battery and as many caps as you like but the only solution is a high out put alternator.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
i dont think you would even need a high output alternator....your factory should be fine for just one amp.   i have an amp that is 1200rms  and  it pulls 90amps.. yours i think should pull between 80-100.   all you need is an extra battery to run your amp off of and you should be str8
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

The only thing a 2nd battery will do for you is allow you to run the system with the cars engine off for a longer amount of time. But then once you start the car it will have to charge the drained battery as well as provide the current draw from the cars electrical system etc. If you are running 1200 watts RMS on the Civics stock alternator I can guarantee you under powering both your amp and your cars electrical system. The draw alone on the amp almost maxes out the output of your alternator.

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2003 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  

You will need to upgrade you alternator as bberman1 stated.  Your factory alternator is designed to supply current to all of the accessories within the car under extreme loads under the worst conditions.  Even using a second battery wont help because the charging system is only putting out a certain amount of power regardless of the amount of batteries.  Also when you add a second battery you have to add additional switches and isolators in order to keep the system from overloading itself which can be just as expensive as upgrading/rebuilding your alternator. 

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
A HO alternator is definately the way to go. I had an RF Power 1000bd in a 2002 Mustang with a 90a alternator and it couldn't stand the strain. You need to spend the $'s and get a quality HO alternator. I'm running the same 1000bd plus 2 Kenwood KAC-649S amps in a '97 Explorer with a 130a alternator and it works a lot better. At speed I only have minor dimming problems, but I still need a higher amp alternator.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic