icon

Audiobahn Subwoofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2003 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

Ok I am plannin to install 3 Audiobahn Flame Q 1206T 12 inch subwoofers in a '97 civic dx four door.  Im currently building a fiberglass enclosure for them.  Does anyone have anything to say about audiobahns?  I chose them because they have aluminum cones, 120 oz. magnets, 1100 watts power handling, and 96.4dB sensitivity.  The enclosure I'm building is ported and built to audiobahn's suggested sizes, and  I plan to run 1050 Watts to each sub with three rockford fosgate amps.  

Now as I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but Sensitivity defines the amount of output your going to get from a given amount of power input.  So basically a sub with a higher sensitivity will hit much harder when supplied with a given wattage than a sub with lower sensitivity.  So that seems to be a major factor to me.  I was wondering though, what exactly does a larger magnet do for a subwoofer? 

Also, on these forums I always read people talking about brands like Eclipse, you know the brands that you won't find at most retailers in stores or online.  I started looking at the Eclipse 88120TiDVC, (which is a much more expensive sub) and I noticed that its sensitivity is like 91 or 92dB.  So I ask what makes this such a nice subwoofer.  Of course the titanium cone and huge magnet and motor structure are plusses, but wouldn't you want higher sensitivity especially from a SPL sub?  Oh and what exactly is the motor structure?  What does it do, and what specification if any defines the quality of a subs motor structure? 

By the way, I should say that I am looking for something that will hit extremely hard when I want it too, but my main concer is Sound Quality.  Thanks for the help.

troysnx 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2003 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  

I can't help you with all of your question, as I'm pretty knew to the car audio world, but I can help you with a few.

If your main concern is Sound Quality, Audiobahn subs are defintally NOT the way to go.  They pump out loud noise you can hear from a ways away, but as I said it's just noise.  Alot of distortion.  I'm pretty almost everybody here would agree audiobahn makes nice amps, but bad subs (if SQ is what your looking for).

The Eclipse titanium series is one of the best subwoofers you can buy on the market today.  It is very expensive, probably also one of the most expensive on the market today.  You can actually find Eclipse at ALOT of serious car audio stores.  Best Buy, Curcuit City, etc. will not carry eclipse.  I personally have not used eclipse, but I have heard them many times.  Let me just say this....wow.  The aluminum series (about 100-200 less) sounds awesome, a great split between SPL/SQ.  So I can only imagine the titanium sounds alot better.

My 2 cents...

R.Troy
specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2003 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

Well Does anyone have any suggestions for subwoofers with good SQ and SPL.  Also is there any way to look at the speciafications for a subwoofer and tell if it has good SQ?

ironfistjohn 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

audiobahn subs put out  great sound quality,and can really bang....dont let anyone try to make you think otherwise....enclosure is everything....a sealed box is the only way to go for a tight hard hit that will knock the wind out of your chest(of cource speaker recomendations are advised)....one thing that you should remember is that a speaker with a 90db signal to noise ratio that another 10db to make a total of 100db is not going to be noticable,and you should not decide to purchase a peice of audio equiptment soley based on that specification....goodluck....

crossing wires is,crossing the line....
AudioAdrenaline 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine Type R and Infinity Kappa and both good for the money as far as a good blend of SQ and SPL.   IMO
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2003 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

Ok so I'm now leaning towards some infinity's.  the 12.1 DVC subs.  The audiobahn's I was looking at before handled 1100 watts rms each, and thats a lot of power to live up to and im not sure that I want to spend that much on amps.  Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you want to give a sub as much or atleast close to as much power as it can handle?  All of the audiobahn's that have less power handling either lack an aluminum cone or have smaller magnets. 

I like the Infinity's because they have an aluminum cone, handle a more modest 350 watts rms, have dual voice coils, and seem like a nice sub overall.  I'm planning on installing three of these 12" subs so I'm hoping that these subs will sound good and still hit hard.  My friend has two Infinity Kappa Perfect 10" subs in a small sealed box, and when I heard them I was not impressed.  But 3 12" subs has the cone area of about 4 10" subs, and I will be giving them more power than he was.  My only complaint about the infinity's is the manufacturers website does not give the magnet weight, or many other specifications.  Also I went to use 12 Volts port size calculater, and I found a list of all the theile small parameters for the subs on infinity's website, with the exception of the one i needed.  I belive that it was Fs or Fb.  Oh well, I think that I am going to make a sealed box anyways. 

nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2003 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
Well remember if your looking at running a relitively high power system you have to start with making sure your electrical system can provide enough power to run everything. Those kappa's are very nice but you might want to look at the Eclipse aluminium series. Many ppl on this forum recommend them and i for one can say they have go the perfect balance between SQ/SPL.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2003 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
specialblendj, magnet weight is not real important when buying a subwoofer.  you will wont to look at the voice coil, materials used, motor structure, x-max and reputation of the company.  Magnets very in sizes and weight because of the varios metals that are used. 
specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2003 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
What is X-max? Is it a theile-small parameter or something?  And as far as power goes, I am planning on buying 2 amps to begin with.  Each Rockford Fosgate 700s amps 2 channels going to two of the subs from the first amp, then the second amp will be going 1 channel to the third sub, and the second channel divided between the 2 6x9's im my car, if this wiring can be done.  I may later get a small amp for the front 2 6 1/2's.  Can I get this much power from my system with capacitators.  I will also have an Alpine 9813 deck which has a 60Wx4 amp in it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic