icon

Blew my head unit, help!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wmosher 
Copper - Posts: 28
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2003 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. Here's the scenario. In my shed, i have a 12V converter. I have never had problems before, i know i had everything wired correctly. well, my HU plugged in, listening to music. I also had an amplifier, that i was working on, plugged in. I had to make a samll solder to connect two little pieces. I went to take the board out of the casing completely. when i was unscrewing one of the screws to take out the board, i accidently rubbed the screw driver against something, and it made a spark. the HU shut off. now it wont turn back on!?!? i checked the fuse for the head unit and its fine. when i disconnect either the power or ground wire, and then try to connect it again, it makes a spark. which i was told means there is a short or something. someone please help me. i just spent $200 on this head unit. email me at wmosher3@tampabay.rr.com THANX!
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2003 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
you need to get a tester and check every capasitor and resitor on the board, then replace the broken one, i would advise taking it to a professional tho it is very painstaking
Quad L Handyman services
wmosher 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2003 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
ok, thanx for the reply, i am probably gonna take it to a professional. but if its something i can do myself, i would rather.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  

You were working on it with power on?  Tsk, tsk...

Sounds like you have shorted out and blown something in the HU power supply - probably a transister or a diode.  Take it to a shop and be prepared to get a repair estimate of around - how much did you say you paid for it? - $200.

wmosher 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
im probably going to do it myself. but how do i test the diodes and everything with a digital multimeter?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Please don't take this the wrong way, but based on your question it seems you really don't know what you're doing.  I would say stop poking around inside the electronics of the head unit and take it to a shop for repair - or buy a new one.
wmosher 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
well, actually i would like to learn. its not worth it taking it to a shop. they're gonna rape me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic