icon

Sony Amp Question?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
underground 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2003 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have a sony 1200 watt class d amp and it quit working. I disconnected the amp and tested the amp with a DMM. What I found was a shock. The (+) still had 13 volts with everything disconnected. Why is this doing this? Any suggestions will help on the problem solving. What does this mean and should I check it some other ways? I hooked up some other speakers to it to see if it was my speakers and still nothing. Please help. Thanks in advance!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
Which + still had 13 volts, the power or a speaker terminal?  If a speaker terminal, the amp is toast.  If a power connection, it's probably just a capacitor discharging.
underground 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
It is on the power connection. How can I fix this problem? or is it fixable? Thanks in advance!
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

What you are seeing may or may not have anything to do with the fact that the amp is not working.  Some amps will hold a voltage charge in the power supply for a few minutes after power is removed and this is perfectly normal.  If the amp is blown, the voltage you are seeing on the input is probably not a symptom.

You'll need to take it in to a service center for testing.

underground 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
It has been two day and the amp still reads 13 volts. The amp still doesn't work tried hooking it up to another car amd no sounds. Any other ideals?
DYohn 
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
The amp has been sitting with power off for two days and it still reads +13 volts on the input terminals?  This is very close to impossible... but if so, even more reason you need to take it to a Sony service center.
underground 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2003 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
I took my truck to a local chevy dealership to have some work done to the hood and I guess someone had some fun with my stuff. When I got it back, no subs! So the dealership offered to replace it. So I was wanting to know what the problem might be and maybe fix it and keep the difference. $$$$$$ Just wondering.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic