icon

Speaker noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
98zx2 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 98 ford zx2 and it originally had like 6x8s in the back and the factory amp and stuff I wired past all that and for some reason when my cd player is arround 20 or so my 6x9s pop and crackle. they are 250$ kenwood excelons... and the factory speakers dont crackle. do you think by any chance I have the + and - wrong or does anyone have any advice?
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
You can "Pop" the speakers to test polarity. Use a 9v battery and run a wire from the battery + to what you think is the speaker +, and the same thing for the -. If the speaker Pops towards you then the polarity is correct. If the speaker Pulls in towards the magnet then the polarity is reversed and you need to reverse the + and - inputs on the speaker.
So you are using an aftermarket headunit (unknown make/model), and aftermarket 6x9's in the rear. You seem to have bypassed the factory amp when wiring the rear 6x9's, but what about the front speakers?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
98zx2 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

I bypassed the wires for the front as well...

the factory speakers dont seem to make a sound when I plug them in. but theres no clear detail of which side is positive and which is engative. and the cars wire coloring is so weird that I cant find any diagrams anywhere.

my head unit is a JVC KD something or otehr its an Mp3 unit. 

the 6x9s did not pop when I ahd them hooked into my older car with the same speaker sot hats why I wonder if maybe the wiring is incorrect

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
Remember, it wont be a loud "audiable" pop. You are actually looking for the speaker cone to "pop" out towards you. If it pulls in towards the magnet then the polarity is reversed. If that is the case (reverse polarity), then just switch the + and - leads that connect to the speaker
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Thugstyle 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure you didnt blow your 6x8s? I had that problem and I blew them the 2nd day i got them
Lebult 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
I agree. I bought 6x8s, and one of them rattled at 19 on my Volume Control. One of the tweeters was fried.I took them back the same day and got a new pair. They're great now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic