icon

too much...rattle!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
saturnboom 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
how do you get rid of all the rattles when you fix one and 10 more start? I have a 99 saturn and 3-12's...lots of bass and lots of rattles??I have considered brown bread but that is a sound deadener and still wont take care of all the rattles...my headlights even rattle!!do I have to take every nut,bolt and screw loose and put rubber grommets on them or what??I need some input on everyone elses experiences with rattles!! could this be due to the fact that saturn is a giant piece of rolling plastic and there is no total cure?? p;ease help!!!!!!
nate1
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, Sound Deadeners DO help take care of rattles. What causes the rattles is the vibrations made from the sound waves. The deadeners lessen that. You just have to keep isolating the new areas and apply more deadener...
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  

i have 4 layers of dynamat in my car, not a singal rattle in the car

Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
I can't tell you how much Dynamat and Roadkill I have in my truck. I swear I put more on every day. It doesn't rattle much anymore, but squirrel is right (like usual) and the deadener kills standing waves present in your vehicle. As for your headlights, those I'm not really sure about but you may have to grommet those because I don't know how to put dynamat on a headlight without overheating the chamber. Seriously, go buy some dynamat or brown bread or whatever and use it. See what you think.
Cary
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Thx for the comp Blazermedic. I've thought about becomming a Professional Installer for a while, but Installers like Bberman1, Big Purds, Esmith69, and Velocity Motors (to name a few) still put me to shame knowledge wise. Alot of what I pass on is what I've picked up on this Forum. I've done personal installs for about 10 years, but never in as much detail as over the last year or so. Who knows, maybe one day....
As long as the material doesn't get too close to the headlight, you can place it around the inside of the cavity. Not the headlight itself, but the area around where the headlight unit is placed. Just be sure to check it every once and a while to make sure the heat dissapated from the headlight doesn't loosen the adhesive.
I actually haven't even started to deaden my Explorer yet. The factory material is working quite well, although eventually it will be a major undertaking. One thing to remember is the floor tends to get quite hot. You usually don't notice as much because of the carpet, but I've seen (and had) wires melt due to the heat. Keep that in mind when you're installing any wires (which is why most installers will stick to the sides of a vehicle as much as possible), and put any wires Over Top the deadening material, not under it.
If you've got the money, time, and really want to get extreeme, then put deadening material over the entire car. If you do it right the first time, then you wont have the pain and aggravation of tearing everything apart again too much...rattle! -- posted image. Then again, you may not need the whole car done either. It's different almost every time
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
CBates 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

Spray on bedliner works wonders also.......

They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.....
ricetech 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2003 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
I had a 93 saturn with 2 12's, i know what you are going through!! what i found works wornders on the little plastic deamons is that expanding foam in a can. you can get it cheap at home depot and it works. just be carefull it is a mess!!!!!!!!
Thugstyle 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 1990 buick century..the trunk rattled like a bastard..people would come up to me and wonder if that was just my car or a system (it was that bad) so i bought the dynamat trunk kid and put it in..still rattled a little..so i layered it again with some more dynamat...never heard a rattle again..dynamat is somewhat expensive if your on a budget and doing it yourself is a bitch..but its all worth it.
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have used the expanding foam like ricetech suggested and it is a mess. You have to be careful how much you use at one time. I removed my trunk lid off my 2000 Taurus and used 3 cans of the stuff to take up all the empty space. I let it dry over night with a box fan helping is out. I then used some Dynamat over the top of everything. It is alot more solid than before.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic