New amp problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chilidog 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed a new amp in my 2000 Tacoma and when I turn the key on there

is a loud thump/pop sound. It just does this once but it does it every time I start up the truck. Any guesses on why this happens? Amp is a MTX 282, HU is a Alpine CDA9807, with 4 Infinity 6.5 speakers. Thanks cd

sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

A couple of questions for you before I make my guess... what is your remote wire hooked up to? The deck or another type of accessory current?  If your amp turns on before the actual signal gets to the amp your amp will make that loud thump.  But I have only ever used alpine decks for my cars and I have never had that problem.  But just to let you know you can hook up that remote wire either to the blue and white wire from the deck or the red wire from the deck.  Hope that helps.

Sonic

Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
ricetech 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
is the amp always on or is it hooked up to the remote wire? i have seen this problem when the amp is always on. other than that check the ground wire you might have a ground loop. also how are you rca's run? remember to avoid factory wiring looms and other areas with high electrical noise potential
chilidog 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
the remote wire is hooked up to a grey wire from the factory wiring harness going to the HU. I checked this wire with a test light to make certain that it was only hot when the key is on. the amp is only on when key is in acc/run
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
i would say check your ground....make sure it is a good connection.   and instead of the remote wire to the grey wire, hook it up to the blue/white wire from the head unit or tap it off the red wire.
chilidog 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2003 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the tips so far guys,I will try moving the remote wire and see what happens. let me add that the system sounds great I have no engine noise,static,or any probs at all,just the thump on start up.
Thugstyle 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
i have an alpine deck and when i turn my car on i hear a semi loud thump..not pounding tho..but my system works fine..makesure your remote wire is connected good..other than that i duno

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic