icon

Battery to trunk on Honda civic! Help!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dragger817 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2003 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

whats up people, got some questions on a project i wanted to work on, i wanna wire up my yellow top optima battery to my trunk since it will not fit under my hood, now i know i put the battery in the trunk(duh) run a wire( i chose 4 guage) from the battery thru my firewall, and link the wire back up to the postive wires that are already under the hood, also ground the battery to a good ground in the trunk as short as possible. now he's my question, when i wire up the 4 guage wire running from the trunk to the one already under the hood, can i use a Circuit Fuse  breaker?? How many amps should i get for the breaker?? Do i have my setup correct did i miss anything?? Thanks for looking and read your help will be greatly appriciated!!

Quality is the Key to everything!
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
you need to check how many amps the cars systems use if you want to put in a breaker.
Quad L Handyman services
johnand 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2003 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
I just did that on my 1991 Sentra.  I used a Phoenix Gold 140amp breaker, and it has yet to pop.  As long as you don't live in a particularly cold climate, I think the 140amp will work fine for your car as well. Remember circuit breakers take 100-150% of it's rated capacity to trip.   It is there mainly to protect your car from a short on that long power wire.  It also is a nice, as it is an easy way to kill power to the car when working on it, instead of having to disconnect the battery.  IMO, the 4 gauge wire might be a little on the light side for you.  I used 1 gauge welding cable on mine, and have no voltage drop from the battery to the original connections in the engine compartment.  Just check to see what your voltage drop is, and that should give you a good indication of whether you need to upsize your wire or not.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic