Stupid Me

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
PuppyDawg 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys....

I apologize for even posting this site up but as i always say...."i sacrifice my stupidity today for intelligence tomorrow" ....anyways ...speaking from somebody that graduated from RITOPS with a MECP and degree...i have a stupid question for you. Well I have a buddy of mines with a 2001 VW Golf and we're trying to hook up these corny glow rods inside his car.....but i'm trying to use my multimeter in order to measure either I or R and i know that E=12 in this application cause 12V is the standard reading on a car battery. Anyways.....how can i get I and/or R in order to finish the formula? cause this guy (my friend's) putting all types of (glass) fuses in the fuse holder and he tells me it either smokes up the inside, or makes a spark,lol. I want to be able to help him without burning his car down too,lol....i was thinking about just making seperate switches for each glow rod. Can anybody assist me in this situation?....thanks for any info in regards to this.....

*paw print*
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
What do you mean by a glow rod?
Brian
owner/installer
Sight & Sound Car Stereo
"all electronic equipment runs off of smoke, once you let it out, it stops working"
PuppyDawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

i'm installing neon/glow rods/tubes.....he purchase these particular ones in autozone.

*paw print*
PuppyDawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

glow rod=neon tubes....

he purchase these particular ones at autozone

*paw print*
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
<<cause this guy (my friend's) putting all types of (glass) fuses in the fuse holder and he tells me it either smokes up the inside, or makes a spark>>
Sounds like he has the positive and negative wires backwards? Majority of neon lights don't take much power at all unless you are trying to run big underbody neons without a transformer which isn't going to work at all. I would try a 10 or 15 amp fuse depending on what size light rods they are and if they blow that then something else is probably wrong. Are you sure they are 12 volt lights? By the way if you can get the light working you can put your meter in series with the power line and set it up to read amps and see how much it draws in order to select the best size fuse for it. Just try not to smoke your meter if this thing is blowing high amperage fuses! Good luck
PuppyDawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
thanks a lot....i'll re check polarity....my friends good for doing a rush job..but it be nice to relearn how to measure resistance, and current like i used to,lol...i'll have to check my notes and drill it in my head....thanks to everybody also.
*paw print*

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic