icon

Alarm connections

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
paul1 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, i'm trying to install two add on sensors to my alarm, a 507t tilt sensor  and a 508d dual proximity. The problem i have is that they require a negative switch from the alarm to arm, my alarm gives a positive switch am i correct in thinking i can us a relay to take the positive switch and energize#86 on  the relay and have a negative feed to #87 and connect the sensors to #30 on the relay, giving me a neg switch. How do i stand about having to fit diodes to the relay and the sensors?
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, check out this page. It tells you how to convert positive to negative using a relay. And yes, if you're hooking these sensors up to an existing sensor, or if you're hooking the two of them up to the same wire, you'll have to diode isolate each of them.
My only concern would be (since I've never had to convert the + to - like you're doing) would be that the relay would have to stay energized the whole time the car is off (to keep the + signal to - signal going). I'm not sure how much current that would be drawing. Maybe someone else can answer as to whether or not that's bad.
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
paul1 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info, i think a relay coil only takes about 200ma to energize it, so not to bad. I may be wrong so any other info would be great.
youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
um..... correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't your alarm, like most I've installed, in fact, all of them, put out a negative constant for the starter kill relay input>?  this usually orange wire, can be diode isolated to power up accessories such as the ones you're trying to employ.  Feel free to  bash me if I'm wrong... although I'm usually not..Alarm connections -- posted image.
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
Good point....that sounds better than using a relay.
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
paul1 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
The alarm i have fitted is a GT Auto alarm, it came factory fitted to my Focus RS and is a Thatcham cat 2-1 which means it is an add on to a already immobilised car, so there is no need for a feed to a starter kill relay, but thanks anyway for the input.
youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
strange..... I'm trying to think of the last time I saw an alarm without a (-) output when armed...... NEVER
c2deez 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
I think you may be reading the directions improperly, sensors don't require (-) inputs to become active. Most tilt sensors only have 2 wires, one ground and the other is a neg. output. The proximity sensor usu has 4 wires: 12v const., ground, and 2 negative outputs(one for pre-stage and the other for full output). If your alarm has an external impact sensor(dual stage) you can just tap into the 2 trigger wires at the impact sensor.
Hope this helps.
paul1 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
The tilt sensor i have tells me i need a (-) input because everytime you arm the alarm it sense's what angle the car is at and any change from that angle , +1 degree sounds the alarm. If it had a constant (-) and you parked on a hill it would think it was getting jacked up.
paul1 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2003 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
I just had a thought, could i use the (+) switched output to turn on the sensors and have a constant (-) or would the current draw be to much for the alarm?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic