Box Building/Relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dose3782 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2002 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hello-

I have a few questions on building an enclosure. Ok say I am building a box for 1 subwoofer out of 3/4 inch MDF. I understand the formula of H x W x L will give me the internal volume. Say H = 15 , W = 25, and L = 20 for my Box. Using the formula that comes out too 7500. I know 1728 Inches is 1 cubic foot, so my box would be 4.34 cubes? Now if i did that right i am assuming, in what part of that formula would i take out my material, minus 3/4 or .75 from H/W/L? Do i take 3/4 out of all of those numbers (H/W/L)?

Off the subject, I also have some questions on relays. Using 2 5 prong relays for in an amp rack. I want to use one for turning on 2 cooling fans, and 1 for turning on neon lights in the amp rack. Could some one explain proper realy hook up for me in dummie terms. I could not understand the terms used on the site for explanation. What I am looking for is what prong is the remote wire hooked into from the head unit to send the signal to turn on the lights/fans. What prongs are for constant power, ground, and to the lights/fan from the relays?

Any help from any one is greatly apperciated! Thank you for your time.

hot_shot_guy123 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2002 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

pin 86 = remote wire

pin 85 = ground

pin 87 = constant 12v fused

pin 30 = to accessories

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2002 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Dose3782, if your material is ¾ inch thick, you'll need to subtract 1.5 inches from your outer dimensions. So if your outer dimensions are 15H x 25W x 20L, then you would multiply 13.5H x 23.5W x 18.5L to determine the interior volume of your enclosure. ( 5,869.125 ÷ 1728 = 3.396484375 or 3.4 cubic feet ) If you are using any dividers or braces, you'll need to subtract the volume of each divider and/or brace from your interior volume.

For your relay question, wire each of them as hot_shot_guy123 explained above.

the12volt

Dose3782 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2002 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help on the formula, been a while since i have done any box building and lost all my notes. On the relay wiring, can i wire it like this..

pin 86 - remote

pin 85 - ground

pin 87 - constant 12v fused

pin 30 - wire to another pin 86 for the remote wire

Just curious, i wanted to dedicate a relay to sending the remote signal as to not branch off the one remote wire ran back to  my amp rack.

Thanks again guys great site and very friendly people!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic