icon

Bundling Wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Tuco 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2003 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
In my last couple of installations, I've managed to keep all three basic wire types apart from each other when running them from the front of the car to the trunk. As I start work on my latest car, I'd like to get straight info about which wires can and cannot be bundled together. So, considering power wire, signal wire, and speaker wire, which ones can be bundled together without adding whine and/or crosstalk? TIA.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2003 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Signal wire (RCA's) and speaker wire can be run together. Power wires should always be kept seperate from any signal wire as much as possible (remember, the remote wire is a 12v power wire). If you have to cross over any wires (power and signal/speaker), then make sure to cross them at a 90 degree angle (make a cross). This limits the interfeerence.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Tuco 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2003 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Squirrel, that's exactly the kind of info I was seeking. And I appreciate throwing in the bit about the remote wire too. Thanks for taking the time!
crichols82 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2003 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

With the previous stereo I had in my car, I never noticed any interference even though I had the wires bundled together.  Now with my new install, I kept them separate and I havnt noticed much of a difference.  Im in no way implying that you are wrong Tuco, I was just curious if the interference that happens is a minor issue, or does it cause a lot of noise?

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
No problem, glad to help.
Crichol82, I have also done previous installs in my own cars bundeling all the wires together and had no interference. I can't explain it either, other then perhapse the shielding on the signal wires and power wire was enough to minimize any interference. Once I learned the "proper" way to do it, I have always kept them seperate since then. It makes a better practice to do so as well, since if you bundel them all together and have interference then you have to basically rewire everything. So it saves time if anything other then the "just in case" scenereo
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Perhaps you did not notice any interference beforehand becuase your application was for an amp powering subs. If this is the case, its likely that you would not have noticed. Youll run into more problems for amps driving full range speakers if you bundle all your wires together, typically just a ton of unwanted noise and alternator whine.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: September 27, 2003 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, I was running 2 amps at the time (1 for the subs and 1 for the full range), and underpowering my full range speakers by about 30 watts. My subs were right on the money.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic