icon

how to wire zeus series viii

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hammondc 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

have a hifonics zeus series viii. How do I bridge (2) 4 ohm subs to the amp. i keep getting the warning / diagnostics light coming on and the amp shuts off. Right now i have the positives wired into the left channel positive on the amp and the negatives wired into the right channel negative on the amp. 

thnx

chiphammond@yahoo.com

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
Are your subs DVC (dual voice coil) or SVC (single voice coil) ?
hammondc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
they are SVC--- Kicker solo-baric. 2nd series--- mine are solobaric S10's. I am also getting a crazy ground loop noise but my ground is good.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately since you have SVC subs you only have two wiring options, parallel which will give you 2 ohms bridged, or series which will give you 8 ohms bridged. Now if you bridge your amp you can only go as low as a 4 ohm load, which you cannot achieve with (2) 4 ohm SVC woofers. The only thing you can do is wire each sub in parallel (+to + and - to -) on its own channel on the amp . It sounds to me like you have your subs wired in parallel bridged, which is what is causing it to go into protection mode. As far as the ground loop noise is it a high pitch that goes with the rpm's? 
hammondc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
so, how are they running as they are wired now (as in above description)?? That should give me a 2 ohm load correct? I am pretty sure the amp is 2 ohm stable b/c I ran it like that for a good 2-3 years (under advisement from a local , well know sound shop). It should be something like 900 watts bridged to a 2ohm load. At very least, I KNOW for sure i had the positives from each sub run into the same channel and the negatives from each sub run into the same channel. Problem is that I unhooked everything from my last car and it has been about 1 1/2 years since i have had it hooked up.
hammondc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Also, the ground noise is low pitched kinda rumble. It is not a high pitch alternator interference. I do have a little alternator interference in my 6.5's up front and 6X9's in back. I never have been able to get rid of it. I have power run down both sides of the car. The driver side has 4 guage power cable for the sound. Passenger and driver sides have power for the car (lights etc).  
hammondc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

how to wire zeus series viii -- posted image.

this is how they are wired now. somewhat crude drawing but it will do.

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

That diagram is wired in parallel (2ohms) and bridged to the amp. I believe your amp is only 4 ohm stable when bridged, but I may be wrong. When you turn it on dose it go directly into protection mode? Or dose it play until a certain volume or time period? Also were you using the same subs a 1 1/2 years ago?

hammondc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
crappy diagram huh??  It will play for a while until i turn it up. Then, BAM!!! This is killing me b/c i know I had it wired similar to this before. Maybe i will try to run each sub to its own channel. I hate to lose that wattage though. That will hurt. I don't know what the noise is. good cables. they are streetwires zero noise 2.0 RCA cables.
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
What model amp are you running?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic