icon

1999 expedtion\car starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
monsterbash 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2003 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

Newbie here looking for some information on installing a car starter in a 1999 Eddie Expdition with a factory alarm system and a chipped key...Is there any tricks or trouble I’m going to run into before I rip my truck apart?  I have a feeling there is going to be a issue with alarm..

12voltassassin 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2003 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
TAKE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL SAVE THE CAR AND SAVE THE STRESS OR HAVE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO INSTALL GOOD DO IT WITH YOU. DONT TRY IT YOURSELF.
i hate ebay they are stealing my business
abra0095 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2003 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  

Did you get any other info on installing the alarm?  I have a 2001 Supercrew with factory alarm and chipped key.  Any help?  Thanks!

Jeff Abrahamson
tcool 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2003 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a thread on the same question:

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=10269&KW=expedition

You are going to need a transponder bypass kit for your SUV. Don't bother with the factory remote, the range will be much better with a new integrated alarm/starter combo, and the price will be similar. Trust 12voltassasin though, if you have no experience installing that is a pretty daunting task. If you feel confident you can do it, do a search on expedition in the car security forums and read other posts.

Good luck!

bzzzzttttt
abra0095 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2003 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info!  Where can I get a transponder by-pass kit and any idea on how much one costs?  Finally, if I make all these changes, will I be able to put the truck back to factory specs (so the factory alarm/keyless entry works correctly if I decide to remove the system?).

Thanks again for all your help!

Jeff Abrahamson
tcool 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2003 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

The Ford PATS bypass kit can be found pretty much anywhere that sells alarms.

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=3050221267&category=14934

Here is one of the viper models on Ebay for $25. Some bypass kits will require you to install a coded key in a hidden module in your vehicle, I would avoid these because PATS keys are fairly expensive.

As far as your factory system is concerned: Your aftermarket alarm should be completely independent of the OEM factory keyless. Both will work, but if you use your factory keyless, it will set of your aftermarket alarm. Most people just put their factory remote away and just use the aftermarket alarm.

bzzzzttttt
monsterbash 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2003 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

Hey... thanks for the help.  I've installed  couple starters in the past but never on a PATS system.  I'll pick up the by-pass and give it a go

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic