icon

Keyless Locks Shorting Out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scelsi14 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2002 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I got a pair of new actuators and a keyless entry system and put them  in my vehicle that already had power locks but bad actuators.  When I ran the wire from the reciever to the locks, I attached it to the factory wiring that I attached to the new actuators.  I don't know what is wrong, maybe the whole thing, but when I try to program one of the remotes to the right frequency or use the one that is already programed correctly, it blows the fuse on my power input wire.  I tested it with a multimeter and the ground wire reads at 2 Ohms.  I know that means the current isn't running through the system correctly, but I don't know what to check for. 

Please offer any suggestions if you are familiar with this sort of thing

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2002 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
was these aftermarket actuators added or you replaced the oem actuator? what year car do you have make model? if these are aftermarket added actuators the wires running into the door are probably pinched somewhere this happens when the instaler dont run the wire through the door boot but instead outside of it. post back some info on this car and im sure someone can help you .
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2002 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
example of the aftermarket actuators is a pistol looking motor conecting to the door lock rods.
scelsi14 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2002 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

I got new actuators and removed the oem actuators.  The car had factory power locks on it already and I put my aftermarket actuators on the factory wiring.  I ran the wires from the Keyless entry reciever through the boot in both doors. 

My car is a 1991 Pontiac Sunbird if that helps.

mike simonelli 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2002 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
You cant us the factory wireing with aftermarket actuators. they have to rest at ground the factory wireing doesnt do that. run new wires to alarm. must ad relays.
scelsi14 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2002 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

So, If i just disconnect the factory wiring it should work?

If that works, will I be able to use the lock/unlock switches already in my car?

If so, how?

mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2002 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  

those actuators need 2 relays two operate they will not work without them. what usually triggers them is a negative pulse from an alarm so to make the switch work you will have to make it send out a negative as well to triger the relays.This may require an additional relay for the switch. what kind of car is this in ?

scelsi14 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2002 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

it's a 1991 Sunbird, and I don't have an alarm, I just got the reciever and the lock actuators.

The reciever has the relays built in that I need for it to operate, so do i need other relays to make my factory switches and wiring activate the actuators?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic