icon

2003 Jimmy Alarm Not Working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ycliu 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2003 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
I have a Black Widow BW4150 installed in my 2003 GMC Jimmy (Canadian Model) by a Dealer 3 days ago. It worked perfectly on the first day but then the whole system shut down (including remote door lock) the next morning. However, it worked after the vehicle was started a couple of times. Then it failed again next morning.
I went to the dealer last evening and they tried to get power from some other source but the problem still the same - it failed after 'resting' overnight. I forget to mentione that the battery is in perfect condition and all other accessories works perfectly.
Can anyone give any suggestion to this? Many thanks!
12voltassassin 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2003 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Were all the connections soldered nothing shorting out from the install maybe you have a defective unit make sure all molex plugs into the brain box are secure and no moving things like steering column are playing with the connections to the brain like tilt steering wheel or moving foot pedals. personally black widow is a piece of garbage but thats another story. good luck.
i hate ebay they are stealing my business
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
Take it back and have it removed and get your money back. I do not know about the black widows failure rate but the alarm shop should have pulled power to the battery on the 2nd attempt (repair). If they did do this then it's the alarm and should have been changed then. If they didn't go to the battery then they are not smart enough to have installed in the 1st place.
I have a Blazer and have no issues with the alarm hooked to constant under the column. There is a RAP circuit and another that shuts power to certain components if something is left on for more then 10 minutes that could cause something like this.
Next time you enter the truck (after alarm fails) open the door and see if the interior lights come one. If they don't then the truck is shutting down some of its power systems thinking a light was left on or a door was left open.
Your saying the alarm shuts down but does it shut all the way down or do the door locks just stop working? Next time the alarm fails see if the LED is blinking or anything. I'm wondering if the truck isn't shutting down the BCM (turning door locks off) but the alarm brain is still powered. The LED would be your only clue (that's IF it's wired via a plug to the brain) In this case the alarm is still powered but it's accessories are not. A cause could be something is pulling power (shock sensor, relay) from a wrong source. OR the truck could have issues of it's own (broken pin switch) and you just didn't notice till the alarm was installed.
Again, check the dome lights when you go out in the morning. Do not use factory keyfob (if you still have it). Enter the truck using the key and see if the lights come on. If not then you know it was the truck removing power.
ycliu 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys.
The red LED is not blinking, power door lock not working (through the keyfob) and the interior light doesn't come on. It seems that the power is cut off. Howver, it is difficult to explain why once the vehicle is turn on in the morning, then the alarm and remote door lock will work again even it is not touched until I finish my work (8+ hours later).
Anyway, have made appointment with dealer and will keep you guy posted.
Thanks again.
ycliu 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
The alarm is a faulty unit - it fails only when the temperature is low (below 10C?).
It was replaced last night and it works normally since then - however, we are having a much warmer weather today (up to 25C)!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic