icon

Stuck on SQ subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2002 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
How about A/D/S/  rs.2 series for sq,made in USA too !!!Stuck on SQ subs - Page 2 -- posted image.they don't need too much juice,in fact they are happy with 50~300/watts per coil,my Nakamichi amp makes the 10" rs.2 sound superb in an sealed enclosure,BTW it doesn't need a big box at all,hope it helps.Stuck on SQ subs - Page 2 -- posted image.
Dan M C
jwhazel 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2002 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, thanks for all of the input. It is a real big help. I've listened to some jl's (w3 and w6) in their red lined slot ported box. I was not particularly impressed at the quality. Now if I was building a spl car (which I would like to do some day) I may consider a couple of w7's.
But I'm still sort or torn between the kappas and the BA's. They both sound like they are pretty good SQ subs. Thats all that I really want is pure SQ. Anyone ever hear the mb quartz subs? I know that there components are supposed to be superior but I've never heard much rave about their subs.
Dan MC: Your post about A/D/S intrigues me. The thing that caught my eye was that you are using a Nakamichi amp so I'm guessing your pretty SQ oriented? How do the rs.2's stack up against other subs you've heard? I've heard of A/D/S amps before and was always under the impression that they were kind of low-par (like Jenson quality I guess). The reason I ask is because I am searching and can't find very much info regarding these subs. Thanks for the input.
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
good idea. W7s are the way to go, and those are for a sealed box not a ported one (best for soundQ)
I used to be a boston dealer. I put 4 of their 8" subs across the back of a mercedes convertible. looked pretty as hell. sounded like crap. never was too fond of their subs.. may have worked better if I had more say in the design of the box but sadly the owner of teh company I worked for owned that car so he called the shots that time. heh
anyway I've been happy with Infinity.. but best advice is this: listen to both and see what you like the best. then power them well enough to let em move air like they're designed to do. under-powering any sub is a waste of work and effort on the whole. you'll be glad you gave them ample power in the end, even if ya don't play it loudly.
MB Quart's ballpark is components, not really subs. just like Alpine is good at electronics, but their speakers aren't the greatest.
a/d/s used to be very high end. then they got bought up by Directed, as did Orion, and a few other companies, and their reputation dropped like a rock. no more of the small company great service, and QA and design dropped as well for the most part. as much as I adore older a/d/s stuff, it's like Orion.. the best stuff is the older stuff. same with PPI.
a/d/s was always known mainly for their signal processors more than anything else.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
unclejamie2002 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

I have to agree with glasswolf, the infinity perfect is a very musical sub(I cant say enough about mine). However, despite what some say, the perfect functions beautifly with even the most conservative wattage (500 watts rms is overkill if you ask me) check some of the reviews on this sub from some people who arent trying to sell it: http://www.carreview.com/pscCar,Audio/Subwoofers/Infinity,Kappa,Perfect,12.1/PRD_3784_1808crx.aspx

let me also recomend one the cleanest amps for the $ to compliment the perfect. It's called the JBL BP1200.1    Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of JBL since I am stricly in it for the sound quality, but the JBL powervalve series amps are truly amazing in clarity and power. you can pick one up at www.ikesound.com for under $300. You can read reviews from people who baught this amp: http://www.carreview.com/PRD_30997_1806crx.aspx

There are 27 reviews of this amp posted here and all of them gave it a five out of five rating so check it out.

james
jwhazel 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet. I'm pretty much hooked on the perfects now since I can snag them for $140 a piece and the reviews seem to be pretty good. Thanks for the info about A/D/S and MB quartz. Glasswolf really knows his stuff.
Thanks for the info on the JBL but I'm sort of thrown off because it looks like class D. I would sort of like to be running all A/B for the purpose of clarity. I guess I'm pretty anal about my audio. I was originally going for the new alpine v12 f450 but now I'm sort of leaning towards a Mcintosh or Denon if I can get a hold of one of them for less than a grand.
Dan M C 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2002 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
Dan here,as you can see a lot of ideas,i own  a BMW and i do want sound quality over volume,in fact i'm runing my A/D/S/ at 8 ohms and it sounds supreme,yes i know not to many people use Nakamichi products but i have a 4 amp system ,my ADS sub getts only 100 clean watts of NAK juice ,Nak head unit .About Mb Quart i love them but when i went sub shopping i went to buy one and i was shocked when i read ...MADE IN CHINA and that's for their reference series sub,i have theyr reference speakers but they come from Germany and they are hand made,but China...come on,on top of that i heard them and i can tell you that my A/D/S/ is far more superior product.You can't go wrong with BA they would have been my other choice but sorry no JL or Alpine but that's just my personal opinion so please post when you choose and let us know what was your choice,glad to talk to you and just a note;JEFF from Velocity Motors has helped me a lot and i feel like i can't thank the guy enought,so good luck.My other components consist of PPI eq,SONY top line active crossover,Monster Cable for all the wiring,Stinger Dream series RCA's,1 Farrad  cap by Road Rage,Phoenix Gold connectors,Crankin Power battery connects,Stinger Digital cap display,Scosche half DIN in dash capacitor level indicator,MB Quart reference speakers and the tweeters are powered by Rockford Fosgate amp and the rest of my mids (4" and 5.25") are powered by two NAKAMICHI amps along with one dedicated just for the A/D/S/ 10"rs.2 sub and fot battery i have a red top Optima,good luck Stuck on SQ subs - Page 2 -- posted image.
Dan M C
Dan M C 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
jwhazel ,so what is it you decided ?Stuck on SQ subs - Page 2 -- posted image.
Dan M C
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
he's gonna stick with his jensen 6x9's, his 4 1800-watt pyramid amps, and his 6 roadmaster subs.
the sparkomatic tape-deck works real good with the line-level converters too!
*grin*
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
jwhazel 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
shutup! those 4 pyramid amps *pound*. I think I'm gonna go with an optimus to power those 6x9's. USAC here i come!
Oh, anyway I have seven hours of school and six hours of work, so sometime next week, if I ever get time next week, I think this is what my plan is (its definatley subject to change though). I'm gonna go with the Alpine 7995 (no internal amp, nice d/a converter, nice and clean, overall nice head unit). I'm gonna run that back to an Alpine mrv-f450 (5 channels, decent THD, good overall bang for the buck). At first I was going to run a set of Type R components and Coaxials because of nice conservative power handling and frequency response. But the more I hear about them, the less I want them. So I think I'm going to go Kappa Perfect all around: 1 set components, 1 set coaxials, 1 pair 10.1 subs. I particularly like the fact that the 10.1's only want like .6 cu ft of space (including displacement) and they have a max excursion of something like .35". Sounds pretty tight to me. Once I get situated and everything, I'll probably go with a cap to the amp and perhaps some additional stuff. Right now I am working on upgrading the power distribution and grounding at my battery. The subs will probably be the last thing I purchase because I've got my resin all ready but I havn't found a nice place for fiberglass yet.
So far, I think thats what I'm going with, for a good everyday driver vehicle. If someone sees some sort of glaring problem or wants to make a suggestion, I'm all ears. I am looking at those 310rs.2's but I just can't seem to find a whole lot of info on them. Do you think that they would outperform the perfects in SQ in a sealed enclosure?
DjRDifacs 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2002 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

if you get the infinity perfects, just make sure the get the NEW ones that just came out like a month ago ....i use to have one which sounded really really nice.  there was this store here in my area that sold 'em for 120 bucks!  the problem with the old ones is that they would blow all the time ....mine blew on me twice, so i gotta refund.  i called infinity before i returned the sub, and the say that the old ones used some type of glue for the voice coils that would just dicenigrate around heat.  he said the new ones won't happen, but but i didn't wanna chance it ...  the store had a 3 strikes policy,  so i talked the guy into giving me a refund....     if you wanna call infinity, their number is  800-553-3332

russ

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic