icon

Reverse and regular mounted

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2003 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
Im buldin a fiberglass enclosure right now......i only estimated it to hold one of my 12".....but after all the work i put into it i was thinkin that itd be a lot less work to just put both in there.....i was lookin it over tonight....and by the looks of it......the only way i'd be able to place both of them in there would be to reverse mount one, that way there'd be enough room for the other's magnet (plus i think it might look pretty cool).......so am i gonna hear any noticeable difference by doing this.....i know no changes are made by reversing one.....but they wont cancel eatch other out by doing this will i........also..........i was thinking of porting my enclosure.......would this be beneficial to the pioneer TS-W34C's???????.........AND how would i figure port length, size, diameter?????
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2003 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
It's called inverting your sub. But if you inverted the sub and left the Power connections + wire to + terminal and - to - then the sub will be out of phase. So in order for it to be in correct phase you must connect the - speaker wire to the + terminal and the + speaker wire to the- terminal. One more thing that some times happens when a sub is inverted, is you will get noise off the vent on the back of the subs motor (only happens on a small number of subs). You must also take into consideration the displacement of the sub. Since the subs motor will not be mounted inside the enclosure you must take that into consideration when calculating your enclosure volume. There is also a debate on this forum as to wither or not inverting a sub causes a loss of spl, but I do not believe it is audible.
noob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2003 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
aright......somethin i was just thinkin about....this enclosure is gonna be goin in a trunk....if i put a ported system in the trunk.....ive heard that this will sound like crap.....is that true....ive heard it from some of the guys at work (bestbuy)......but some are pretty dumb.....i dont remember which i heard it from and i dont know if tis reliable....i trust you guys more
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2003 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
A properly built vented enclosure will not sound like crap. However if you do make errors is the port size and or volume of the enclosure then it will not perform optimally and or sound like crap. But if you have never built a vented enclosure before I would not suggest you do the first one out of fiberglass, unless you are very good at it.  If you want to build a vented enclosure I would suggest that you build a test enclosure (out of MDF), to make sure you do things correctly and to see how it sounds. It sucks when you put a lot of time into a fiberglass enclosure and you have to throw it away. But as far as the port being in the trunk that won’t be a problem but it will be louder if you port it directly into the car. To do so I normally design my port length so it extends from the box to the top of the rear deck. I then cut a whole out in the rear deck for the port and flush mount it with the top of the rear deck. I then build a custom grill to cover the port and then cover it with a grill cloth the same color as the rear deck. This gives it a nice custom but stock look. But what kind of sound do you want? Are you looking for something that is just loud? Or do you want something that sounds real clean maybe a little of both?
noob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2003 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
i was just lookin for somethin that comes through thick and dense.....i like all my bass thumpin.....but clarity also does play a role in my decision......i dont like any distortion in my bass.......is there something different i should do when looking for these things?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic