icon

Additional screens in 2002 Landcruiser

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kendoo130 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2003 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Wanted to add 2 headrest monitors to my 2002 Toyota landcruiser-I have the factory DVD changer in the center console. Would anyone know what wires I would tap into to get video to my add on screens? I know I would need a video amplifier for the screens-would I need anything else?
toadia 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2003 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
 that car I have never found the video wires but if you want to watch it going down the road I would put in an aux dvd player and 2 headrest screens. the dvd will fit nicely under the front of the rear seat you would have to trim some plastic but it will fit and look flush. The factory nav unit is under the pass seat maby you can find something there.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
A guy I know tried doing that on the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser......it kinda worked, but not so great.
I do remember he managed to find a video feed going to the factory screen, and spliced right into it, without even using an amplifier...and the picture on the additional screen was still good.
He found a parking brake wire at the factory screen and installed a toggle switch, in order to fool the factory system into working.
What we found out later, though, is that there is also a speed-sense wire back there....as soon as the car starts rolling, the video drops out. And if you cut the speed sense wire, the navigation system doesn't like that very much.
In the end, they ended up just putting in a separate DVD player. You can get DVD players so cheap these days anyway, that it's probably the best way to go.
kendoo130 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2003 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for everybody's help-I'm going to attempt it this weekend and try to bypass the that speed sense wire and try to get the additional video. I will post up wire colors and anything else as I find them.
shilo 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
I have an '04 Toyota Sienna with the same problem of an E-Brake and speed sensor shutting down the factory video feed from the rear DVD player to the in-Dash Nav screen. To get video to the front factory nav screen while driving, instead of trying to disable the e-brake and speed sensors, I would rather try to run a video feed from the rear DVD screen using a "Y" connector to a toggle switch connected to the front screen - so I can switch the front screen from its Nav. duties to entertainment for my passenger. That way, she could enjoy with the kids whatever they are doing even if they are using the Factory equipped AUX inputs for games, VHS movies or a TV tuner. (The factory AUX inputs ONLY feed to the rear screen so disabling the sensors would not allow the feeding of the AUX inputs to the front or the factory sound system).
Does that make sense? Can anyone tell me how to find the wires to attach to,if I need any kind of special RGB boxes, or just a connector and if Toyota uses standard connectors, and where to look for the wires and ??
Thanks, Shilo - first timer !!
Shilo
Shilo

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic