the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Onstar, when did they start GPS tracking?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
giff 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2003 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
We reecently had a 10851 (stolen car) report come in from Onstar to our dispatch, they knew exactly where the car was, and told the dispatcher they could make the lights and horn sound remotely. My questions are: When did Onstar implement tracking, and if they can cause lights to flash remotely, can't they also just disable the engine? (no more pursuits:( )
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2003 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
I would bet they could possible turn the starter off but that would be about it. Shutting down the engine could cause an accident and you know lawyers! ;)
However I wouldn't be surprised in the near future (if not already) they could intiate the same sequence of events (in the computer) that happens when you hit the speed limiter. I think a chevy guy said that it starts shutting down the injectors in an every other time pattern.
If you don't know what I'm talking about the non performance chevys (trucks, cavaliers) at about 100mph (give or take) feel like someone pushed in the clutch on ya all of a sudden. At least thats the best way to decribe it for me. The engine is fully engaged it just has -0- power and let me tell you it is SUDDEN.
I knew they could lock and unlock the doors but didn't know about panic. Thats great!
giff 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2003 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
My wifes car has Onstar (2001 Suburban) and after hearing all the unmitigated BULLSH** from the sales people about it being a "SATTELLITE" communications device, I thought it was a pretty cool feature. I found out later that all ONSTAR really is , is a glorified hands free cellphone with ZERO coverage in areas I thought it would be usefull (in the mountains for example). I should have known, just by seeing the antenna that it was NOT a satellite radio, Duhhhh. What a total SCAM, they charge $1000 for it too.
go2pac 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2003 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
OnStar uses GPS for tracking the vehicle position and cellular for communication.
Karl
Pacific Accessory Corporation
Mobile Audio Interfacing Equipment
Connecting You to Your Music Since 1976

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic