Durango Remote Start Help Please

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Grain 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

Great forums here, and very helpful too. Hopefully someone can give me a little assistance with this.

I just installed a basic Astrostart 803 in a 2000 Durango with factory keyless entry and security. As I expected, the alarm sounds when remote started (unless the doors are unlocked with the keyless entry), so I thought I'd hook up the wire to disable the factory security.

In the service manual it shows a GREEN/ Orange wire coming from the door lock, so I pulled off the LH kick panel and found 2 wires of these colors in the bundle. I connected the alarm disable wire from the Astrostart to one of these, but when I start the truck the doors lock 4 times quickly and the dome light flashes, and if I stop the engine with the remote the doors unlock twice. This happens with either of the 2 Lt GREEN/ Orange wires connected to the Astrostart.

I did a search of the forums, and it appears that I'm connecting to the correct wire, but I don't see any mention of this type of problem. Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

tjdurham 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2003 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
you need to use a 1.5k ohm resistor on the green\orange wire grounded through a relay pin 85 your disarm wire from starter 86 12v 87to ground and30 to green \ orange in truck
tj
Grain 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  

Awesome. Thanks a bunch tj!

One question though...I did some more searching and reading and found some more references to needing the resistor, but didn't see any mention of the relay...do I really need it, or is it one of those things that can't hurt to have also?

Thanks again.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Use a relay. Meter the wire to make sure you are using the correct one before you fry something in your car. Don't just go hooking up to random wires.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
Chryslers aren't picky about the exact resistance.
Just use a resistor that's slightly lower than the value that is called for, and forget the relay. Around 1200-1400 ohms ought to do it.
intensem1rider 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
go to autostart.ca sign up, and put in the serial number of your brain. It will allow you to get the diagram for your truck, it shows you how to wire up the relays and such in picture form. I find the wire diagrams on this web site lack a tonne of info, and sometimes wrong.
Grain 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the help! I installed a 1400 ohm resistor and everything works perfectly now.

And just in time for winter too. :-)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic